Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

coupling between different geometries

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Attached is a model with two geometries, where I am coupling 1D heat transport down a pipe to 2D axial symmetry conduction that occurs into the surrounding wall. I set up this model in a non-dimensional fashion, so that it solves for (dimensionless) F in 1D (where dimensionless F=temperature within the pipe/initial 2D block temperature) and (dimensionless) T in 2D axial symmetry (where dimensionless T=2D block temperature/initial 2D block temperature. When I run this model, temperature in the pipe approaches steady state. This is different from what I would expect with a derived analytical solution, which shows that water temperature in the pipe should change with time. I believe all of my equations are correct, so I was thinking my problem may be with the way Comsol is coupling between the two geometries. (If this is not the case, I can provide my derivations in another post if necessary.) I have used the extrusion coupling variables feature, extruding F from the 1D subdomain to a 2D boundary and extruding T from the same 2D boundary to the 1D subdomain. Does anyone see any problem with the way I have coupled between these two geometries?

Thank you,
Andrew Luhmann

1 Reply Last Post Jun 2, 2010, 11:33 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 2, 2010, 11:33 a.m. EDT
Hi

I have had a look at your model, first I cannot find the "t" variable anywhere so I do not see what is varying with time, this is in my reason why its stable static whatever one do there.

Second your mesh would gain by using a quad mesh, I do not beleive you need that many: 10-40 over each side, if you have gradients, then use the exponential distribution (manual free mesh edges + regular quad surfaces)

I cannot realy say much more, as I'm not fiully catching your physics, I do not have time really to study everything

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi I have had a look at your model, first I cannot find the "t" variable anywhere so I do not see what is varying with time, this is in my reason why its stable static whatever one do there. Second your mesh would gain by using a quad mesh, I do not beleive you need that many: 10-40 over each side, if you have gradients, then use the exponential distribution (manual free mesh edges + regular quad surfaces) I cannot realy say much more, as I'm not fiully catching your physics, I do not have time really to study everything Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.