Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Dielectrophoresis force simulation. Which module should I use?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, thanks for looking at this problem!

I am a new user of COMSOL. The version I am using is 3.5.

What I am trying to do is get an idea of dielectrophoresis force of a microparticle between two electrodes inside a micro-channel. I am trying to integrate Maxwell stress tensor over the surface of microparticle. The procedure described in several papers are all using electrostatic module. But I couldn't figure out how to input conductivity of the material (e.g. water) in this module. When I switch to AC module, there is no way to get displacement and other information to integrate Maxwell stress tensor. How can I solve this problem?

Thank you so much!!

Best regards

Peng

3 Replies Last Post Jun 10, 2011, 12:29 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 16, 2010, 12:34 p.m. EDT
Hi Peng,

I think AC/DC module is the good one to use in that case. In "Physics" and by choosing the various domains of your geometry (subdomains or boundary) , you will have an access of the options you want ( electric displacement, permittivity, conductivity,...)

Hope it helps
Hi Peng, I think AC/DC module is the good one to use in that case. In "Physics" and by choosing the various domains of your geometry (subdomains or boundary) , you will have an access of the options you want ( electric displacement, permittivity, conductivity,...) Hope it helps

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 30, 2010, 11:44 a.m. EDT
Hi Etienne,

Thank you for your reply.
Hi Etienne, Thank you for your reply.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 10, 2011, 12:29 p.m. EDT
Hi

I too am interested in modeling DEP in Comsol. Please let me know if you've had any successes.

Shane
Hi I too am interested in modeling DEP in Comsol. Please let me know if you've had any successes. Shane

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.