Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PDE Mode, question about example Telegraph Equation (User Guide, Model library)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, everybody.

My question is about given example of modeling telegraph equation on page 169 of Model Library for COMSOL Multiphysics.

The equation is following: utt+(alpha+beta)*ut+alpha*beta*u=c^2*uxx,

and in model we define the second term not as d_a coefficient of ut, but as a right hand side, f.

Can anyone please explain the reason of this action?

Thanks in advance,
Maria.

2 Replies Last Post Jun 25, 2010, 11:36 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 25, 2010, 11:04 a.m. EDT
Hi

Have you tried to set f=0 and da=alpha+beta ?

I believe its OK in 3.5a and 4 but might have been different in earlier versions, as the way to handle BC and initial conditions are subtily different. But I cannot now remeber why, still it seem to remind me about something.

Have you read through the book of Zimmermann ? it has nice examples to learn how to use the eqaution mode of COMSOL see the boos on comsol on the main web site, and the few thins working differently in the newer version of COMSOl is good to get you used to debug almost working models

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi Have you tried to set f=0 and da=alpha+beta ? I believe its OK in 3.5a and 4 but might have been different in earlier versions, as the way to handle BC and initial conditions are subtily different. But I cannot now remeber why, still it seem to remind me about something. Have you read through the book of Zimmermann ? it has nice examples to learn how to use the eqaution mode of COMSOL see the boos on comsol on the main web site, and the few thins working differently in the newer version of COMSOl is good to get you used to debug almost working models Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 25, 2010, 11:36 a.m. EDT
Dear Ivar,

I have checked now, it works perfectly both ways, thanks!

And I really appreciate the advice about the book. I need to learn how to work with PDE Mode due to some specific equations I have to solve.

All the best,
Maria.

Dear Ivar, I have checked now, it works perfectly both ways, thanks! And I really appreciate the advice about the book. I need to learn how to work with PDE Mode due to some specific equations I have to solve. All the best, Maria.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.