Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how can I impose a boundary condition which contain derivative of other dependent variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using pde general mode for solving a natural convection problem and boundary condition for omega equals to second derivative of the dependent variable psi with respect to x. That is,

omega=d2psi/dx2

2 Replies Last Post Aug 25, 2010, 7:58 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 21, 2009, 6:38 p.m. EDT
Hello, Kamil. You can implement derivatives very easily in COMSOL.

The notation is very simple: you can write d(A,B), where A is the variable you wish to derive with respect to B. You can also use Ab, though I think this only works up to 2nd order, and I'm not sure if it works of every variable.

So, for example, dT/dx = d(T,x) = Tx

You can nest these to get higher orders, such as:

d2T/dx2 = d(d(T,x),x) = Txx

d3T/dx3 = d(d(d(T,x),x),x)

You can also derivate with respect to different variables while nesting.

Hope this helps.
Hello, Kamil. You can implement derivatives very easily in COMSOL. The notation is very simple: you can write d(A,B), where A is the variable you wish to derive with respect to B. You can also use Ab, though I think this only works up to 2nd order, and I'm not sure if it works of every variable. So, for example, dT/dx = d(T,x) = Tx You can nest these to get higher orders, such as: d2T/dx2 = d(d(T,x),x) = Txx d3T/dx3 = d(d(d(T,x),x),x) You can also derivate with respect to different variables while nesting. Hope this helps.

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 25, 2010, 7:58 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I am experiencing a similar problem: I want to use the time derivative of an Integration Coupling Variable (on a boundary) as BC (normal inflow velocity of a fluid dynamics simulation).

The integration variable is V. Typing d(V,t) in the BC for normal inflow velocity does not work. The velocity remains zero throughout the simulation.

Any clue what to do (V. 3.5a)?

Thanks. Alois
Hi, I am experiencing a similar problem: I want to use the time derivative of an Integration Coupling Variable (on a boundary) as BC (normal inflow velocity of a fluid dynamics simulation). The integration variable is V. Typing d(V,t) in the BC for normal inflow velocity does not work. The velocity remains zero throughout the simulation. Any clue what to do (V. 3.5a)? Thanks. Alois

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.