Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Reduced potential not working in transient mode (cannot find initial values)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying build a model with a strong background toroidal magnetic field. As a simple test case, I am using the AC/DC module "Meriodonal Induction Currents, Vector Potential" application mode (axisymmetric) and defining a single domain, which is a square with the left edge at R=0.

I use the "reduced potential" mode to specify the background magnetic vector potential of a long straight wire at R=0:
Az = u0*I/(2*pi)*log(r).

Boundary conditions: Left: axisymmetry, Other boundaries: Az = -mu0_emqap*1e6[A]/(4*pi)*log(r)

Run in static mode, I get the correct answer (Bphi scaling with 1/r). However, if I switch to transient mode (still with constant vector potential), the results are dependent upon the conductivity of my subdomain. If I set the domain to high conductivity (copper), the transient solution is fine, simply repeating the static solution. However, if I make the domain conductivity very low or 0 (air), the solver fails with the error "Failed to find consistent initial values.".

Is it possible to specify a strong background field in low conductivity domains? I need to model my processes in air with a strong background field, so I am really stuck on what I thought would be a trivial part of my model.

0 Replies Last Post Aug 11, 2010, 1:15 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nicholas Eidietis

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.