Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Bending a thin block around a cylinder

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all, Is there anyway to bend a block around a cylinder in comsol?

Thanks, Shaghayegh

4 Replies Last Post Jul 14, 2019, 5:46 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Jul 12, 2019, 7:37 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jul 12, 2019, 7:36 a.m. EDT

Hi,

The physics involved in your question is not clear. However, it sounds like it could be a rather straightforward case of contact analysis. Take a look in the Structural Mechanics Modeling chapter in the user's guide for the Structural Mechanics module, which contains a rather long section ('Contact Modeling') about how to set up a contact analysis.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, The physics involved in your question is not clear. However, it sounds like it could be a rather straightforward case of contact analysis. Take a look in the Structural Mechanics Modeling chapter in the user's guide for the Structural Mechanics module, which contains a rather long section ('Contact Modeling') about how to set up a contact analysis. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 5 years ago Jul 12, 2019, 9:54 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jul 12, 2019, 9:53 a.m. EDT

Hi Henrik, I've attached two pictures to show what I actually want. Is this possible to bend a sheet around a cylinder in the geometry node before using any contact? Since this option (bend tool) is available in other similar softwares (like CST) and i'm wondering if its possible with Comsol as well. Kind regards, Shaghayegh

Hi Henrik, I've attached two pictures to show what I actually want. Is this possible to bend a sheet around a cylinder in the geometry node before using any contact? Since this option (bend tool) is available in other similar softwares (like CST) and i'm wondering if its possible with Comsol as well. Kind regards, Shaghayegh

Posted: 5 years ago Jul 13, 2019, 4:34 p.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jul 13, 2019, 4:35 p.m. EDT

Is this what you are after? Your reference to the geometry node suggests that you are asking about how to define the geometry. If so then it is just a matter of using boolean operators enough times.

>Hi Henrik, >I've attached two pictures to show what I actually want. Is this possible to bend a sheet around a cylinder in the geometry node before using any contact? Since this option (bend tool) is available in other similar softwares (like CST) and i'm wondering if its possible with Comsol as well. >Kind regards, >Shaghayegh Is this what you are after? Your reference to the geometry node suggests that you are asking about how to define the geometry. If so then it is just a matter of using boolean operators enough times.

Posted: 5 years ago Jul 14, 2019, 5:46 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Jul 14, 2019, 5:44 a.m. EDT

Dear Michael

Great. This is exactly what I wanted.

Kind regards

Shaghayegh

Dear Michael Great. This is exactly what I wanted. Kind regards Shaghayegh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.