Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Importing CT image on 5.2 version

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

As a new user of COMSOL, I would like to inquire if there are any examples or instructions available for importing CT micro 2D images of a rock into COMSOL. Specifically, I am interested in creating a mesh and modeling diffusion in order to obtain the effective diffusion coefficient. I would greatly appreciate any guidance or resources you can provide on this matter.

Kind regards

3 Replies Last Post Jun 8, 2023, 3:07 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 months ago May 26, 2023, 8:55 a.m. EDT
Updated: 10 months ago May 26, 2023, 9:59 a.m. EDT

Hello Abdelrazik,

This tutorial illustrates two different approaches you can take. The following blog posts may be useful to you as well: Modeling irregular shapes..., How to use interpolated material data... and Generating a simulation mesh.... Yet another approach consists in using a third party tool to generate the mesh and importing that mesh into COMSOL.

Best,

Jeff

PS: 5.2 is a rather old version of COMSOL, and there have been a number of enhancements made to the software since then, so not I am not sure that all techniques presented in these resources are available to you.

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Abdelrazik, [This tutorial](https://www.comsol.com/model/pore-scale-flow-488) illustrates two different approaches you can take. The following blog posts may be useful to you as well: [Modeling irregular shapes...](https://www.comsol.com/blogs/modeling-irregular-shapes-how-to-import-curve-data-and-loft-a-solid/), [How to use interpolated material data...](https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-use-interpolated-material-data-to-model-irregular-geometries/) and [Generating a simulation mesh...](https://www.comsol.com/blogs/generating-a-simulation-mesh-of-a-femur-from-3d-data/). Yet another approach consists in using a third party tool to generate the mesh and importing that mesh into COMSOL. Best, Jeff PS: 5.2 is a rather old version of COMSOL, and there have been a number of enhancements made to the software since then, so not I am not sure that all techniques presented in these resources are available to you.

Posted: 10 months ago Jun 8, 2023, 1:41 p.m. EDT

Dear Jeff,

I would like to understand how the .dxf file was created in COMSOL's pore scale example using an SEM image. I'm currently attempting to convert a specific .png image into a model where I can simulate diffusion in the black (porous) and white (non-porous) regions. However, I've encountered a problem during the conversion process. When I import the .dxf file into COMSOL, it appears that not all of the white regions are being detected accurately. Consequently, the flow is occurring in a larger area than intended. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice you may have to help address this issue.

Furthermore, I've encountered situations where, upon importing a geometry, there is no boundary available to assign the concentration in COMSOL. I attempted to address this issue by constructing a rectangle over the image, but this approach resulted in considering both the porous and non-porous media as a single area for flow. As a consequence, I'm currently seeking alternative methods or suggestions to properly assign concentration boundaries in these cases.

I also have another question regarding resizing the geometry that has been built automatically by importing the .dxf file into Comsol. I found that after importing that the geometry is much bigger than the actual image size. Thank you so much for your cooperation.

Kind regards, Abdelrazik Elfar

Dear Jeff, I would like to understand how the .dxf file was created in COMSOL's pore scale example using an SEM image. I'm currently attempting to convert a specific .png image into a model where I can simulate diffusion in the black (porous) and white (non-porous) regions. However, I've encountered a problem during the conversion process. When I import the .dxf file into COMSOL, it appears that not all of the white regions are being detected accurately. Consequently, the flow is occurring in a larger area than intended. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice you may have to help address this issue. Furthermore, I've encountered situations where, upon importing a geometry, there is no boundary available to assign the concentration in COMSOL. I attempted to address this issue by constructing a rectangle over the image, but this approach resulted in considering both the porous and non-porous media as a single area for flow. As a consequence, I'm currently seeking alternative methods or suggestions to properly assign concentration boundaries in these cases. I also have another question regarding resizing the geometry that has been built automatically by importing the .dxf file into Comsol. I found that after importing that the geometry is much bigger than the actual image size. Thank you so much for your cooperation. Kind regards, Abdelrazik Elfar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 months ago Jun 8, 2023, 3:07 p.m. EDT

The dxf file used in the pore scale example was authored by a third party, named in the pdf. I would recommend you contact them.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
The dxf file used in the pore scale example was authored by a third party, named in the pdf. I would recommend you contact them. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.