Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to set displacement from study 1 as prescribed displacement in study 2?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey,

I have a trouble with defining a prescribed displacement.

Let's say that i received displacement of the edge caused by heating of sample. But displacement of this edge is different in every point of its length.

I want to keep this displacement as prescibed displacement condition in next study. So i can't just add condition prescibed diplacement in y=a, becouse it's more like ax*bx^2.

I tried to use mod1.u as prescribed in y, but it's not working or I doing something wrong.

How can I solve this problem?

Kind Regards

Robert

4 Replies Last Post Feb 22, 2013, 8:04 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 20, 2013, 1:12 p.m. EST
Hi

if you refer to a previous model, and study, you need to tell where to look for the variables in the solver node
I posted an example earlier today with a heat transfer from a 3D model to a 2nd 2D model, with the extrusion model coupling operator, this is another way, rather than exporting ad importing a result via a file and an interpolation function

In anycase you should understand that "u" like all dependent variables are in fact "fields" and should be written
u(x,y,z,t) defined locally over the selected domains

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you refer to a previous model, and study, you need to tell where to look for the variables in the solver node I posted an example earlier today with a heat transfer from a 3D model to a 2nd 2D model, with the extrusion model coupling operator, this is another way, rather than exporting ad importing a result via a file and an interpolation function In anycase you should understand that "u" like all dependent variables are in fact "fields" and should be written u(x,y,z,t) defined locally over the selected domains -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2013, 4:13 a.m. EST
Thanks Ivar,

I think this is what I was looking for. I also study rim_submodel from model galery, where general extrusion is used.
Thanks Ivar, I think this is what I was looking for. I also study rim_submodel from model galery, where general extrusion is used.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2013, 5:00 a.m. EST
I still have a problem with this condition. I attached example model.

In study 1 (for model 1) I prescribe displacement in x and y direction for one boundary.
In study 2 (for model 2) I trying to obtain a displacement of the same boundary using mod1.u, mod1.v and linear extrusion but it does not work.

Could you help me with this Ivar?
I still have a problem with this condition. I attached example model. In study 1 (for model 1) I prescribe displacement in x and y direction for one boundary. In study 2 (for model 2) I trying to obtain a displacement of the same boundary using mod1.u, mod1.v and linear extrusion but it does not work. Could you help me with this Ivar?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 22, 2013, 8:04 a.m. EST
Hi

you need to tell study 2 where to read the data from, its done under the Study Settings _ Values of Dependent Variables check: Values of variables not solved for : Solution / Study 1 Stationary / Automatic

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you need to tell study 2 where to read the data from, its done under the Study Settings _ Values of Dependent Variables check: Values of variables not solved for : Solution / Study 1 Stationary / Automatic -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.