Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to add the certain force on the free surface ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

The problem is that:
I want to simulate a electrohydrodynamic (EHD) phenomenone , a nozzle with full water in a electrostatic field, the the water is polarized and deformed the Taylor cone. The models include the level set -laminar flow and electrostatic.The coupling variables is Fx and Fy, which depends on the surface charge density and electric field. The force only at the the surface existed. How to define this force? in another word, it's maybe a universal problem that, the Maxwell surface tension how to act on the free surface.

Thank you.

abubob

5 Replies Last Post Apr 29, 2016, 9:26 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Bu Ningbin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2011, 7:06 a.m. EDT
Dear abubob...

I saw your question on the comsol forum. I am working exactly with the same kind of modeling but I could not find so far any good example with Comsol. I understood you are working with cone-jet mode. I am trying to model the simple-jet, which is the same with higher flows. Maybe we could discuss a bit and see if we can help eachother to find our way using Comsol. Please let me know if you would like to talk a bit further about this.
Kind regards
Luewton Lemos (luewtonlemos@gmail.com)
Dear abubob... I saw your question on the comsol forum. I am working exactly with the same kind of modeling but I could not find so far any good example with Comsol. I understood you are working with cone-jet mode. I am trying to model the simple-jet, which is the same with higher flows. Maybe we could discuss a bit and see if we can help eachother to find our way using Comsol. Please let me know if you would like to talk a bit further about this. Kind regards Luewton Lemos (luewtonlemos@gmail.com)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2011, 9:01 p.m. EDT
Dear Luewton Lemos
I'am glad to talk with you. In the past months,I have simulated the cone, but the problem is also existed.The following examples are useful, inkjet nozzle. In simulation, the interface is a thin layer, the physcics parameters should be smooth( density ,visicosity , permitivity) , the div of Maxwell tensor is body force, so the whole regions,can add this force, but only the interface is valid. Another problem is the convergence. The solver should be adjusted, I'm working for this.If you have any questions, we can talk together. Good luck.

bu ningbin
Dear Luewton Lemos I'am glad to talk with you. In the past months,I have simulated the cone, but the problem is also existed.The following examples are useful, inkjet nozzle. In simulation, the interface is a thin layer, the physcics parameters should be smooth( density ,visicosity , permitivity) , the div of Maxwell tensor is body force, so the whole regions,can add this force, but only the interface is valid. Another problem is the convergence. The solver should be adjusted, I'm working for this.If you have any questions, we can talk together. Good luck. bu ningbin

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 5, 2011, 2:29 a.m. EDT
Hi,
I am new to this Comsol, as well as finite element simulation, just graduate form degree, now working on electrospray as well. I am still beating around the bush, try to understand the Physics that can be used in electrospray. Mind anyone me give me suggestions? Although Comsol supposed to give friendly GUI but no in electrospray, which deals with electrophoresis with two phase flow, as you mentioned the surface force on droplets and being charged.
Hi, I am new to this Comsol, as well as finite element simulation, just graduate form degree, now working on electrospray as well. I am still beating around the bush, try to understand the Physics that can be used in electrospray. Mind anyone me give me suggestions? Although Comsol supposed to give friendly GUI but no in electrospray, which deals with electrophoresis with two phase flow, as you mentioned the surface force on droplets and being charged.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 17, 2012, 4:43 p.m. EDT
Hi Bu
I am working on the same problem.
How did you manage to model the leaky feature of the jet? Did you use electric current (ec) instead of electrostatic? Did your result match what Taylor got in his 1964 paper?
Many thanks
Ahmed
Hi Bu I am working on the same problem. How did you manage to model the leaky feature of the jet? Did you use electric current (ec) instead of electrostatic? Did your result match what Taylor got in his 1964 paper? Many thanks Ahmed

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 29, 2016, 9:26 a.m. EDT
So I am wondering if you still remember how did simulate this E-jet model? Did you get the model?
So I am wondering if you still remember how did simulate this E-jet model? Did you get the model?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.