Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Don't see "Soft Iron"

Arseny Electromagnetics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Greetings!

I am doing electromagnetic calculation. I don't have "Soft Iron" from my "Materials" browser list. As far as I know, it should be under section "AC/DC", but I don't even see it. What could be the problem? Is it not included in the main Comsol package? I have v.5.4

Thank you in advance.

4 Replies Last Post Oct 8, 2021, 10:20 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago Oct 6, 2021, 9:33 a.m. EDT

Hello,

Are you perhaps following step-by-step instructions that assume that your license includes an optional add-on product your license does not actually have?

To see which optional add-on products are on your license, go to File > Licensed and Used Products. Check in particular in that window if there is a checkmark corresponding to the AC/DC Module.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello, Are you perhaps following step-by-step instructions that assume that your license includes an optional add-on product your license does not actually have? To see which optional add-on products are on your license, go to File > Licensed and Used Products. Check in particular in that window if there is a checkmark corresponding to the AC/DC Module. Best, Jeff

Arseny Electromagnetics

Posted: 2 years ago Oct 7, 2021, 4:00 a.m. EDT

I checked and it seems, that I have only "Material Library" in that list. So without AC/DC module is it impossible to do electromagnetic simulations with just simple COMSOL basic pack? From the other hand, what is the purpose of this "Material Library" if it doesn't include even most common magnetic material "Soft Iron"?

Thank you.

I checked and it seems, that I have only "Material Library" in that list. So without AC/DC module is it impossible to do electromagnetic simulations with just simple COMSOL basic pack? From the other hand, what is the purpose of this "Material Library" if it doesn't include even most common magnetic material "Soft Iron"? Thank you.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago Oct 7, 2021, 8:55 a.m. EDT
Updated: 2 years ago Oct 7, 2021, 11:01 a.m. EDT

Hello,

Electromagnetics is a broad field, so we need to look at it piece by piece. Some electrostatics, DC current and magnetic fields simulations can be performed without any of the physics-based module. For low frequency electromagnetics the AC/DC Module is usually needed; that module also adds functionalities for electrostatics, DC current and magnetic fields. For high frequency electromagnetics, you will need the RF Module or Wave Optics Module. For Optics, the Ray Optics Module is available. A detailed listing of the features of each of those products can be found in the Specification Chart.

We offer a general purpose Material Library product, which, based on what you've reported, is on your license. Some of the physics-based modules also include additional material libraries specific to the fields covered by those products.

Regardless of which optional products your license includes, a number of materials are included in the core COMSOL Multiphysics (Iron being one of those materials found in the "Built In" folder), and the end user can always add materials and store them in user libraries, see for instance Reference Manual for COMSOL Multiphysics version 5.6, page 804 and following for more information.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello, Electromagnetics is a broad field, so we need to look at it piece by piece. Some electrostatics, DC current and magnetic fields simulations can be performed without any of the physics-based module. For low frequency electromagnetics the AC/DC Module is usually needed; that module also adds functionalities for electrostatics, DC current and magnetic fields. For high frequency electromagnetics, you will need the RF Module or Wave Optics Module. For Optics, the Ray Optics Module is available. A detailed listing of the features of each of those products can be found in the [Specification Chart](https://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/). We offer a general purpose [Material Library](https://www.comsol.com/material-library) product, which, based on what you've reported, is on your license. Some of the physics-based modules also include additional material libraries specific to the fields covered by those products. Regardless of which optional products your license includes, a number of materials are included in the core COMSOL Multiphysics (Iron being one of those materials found in the "Built In" folder), and the end user can always add materials and store them in user libraries, see for instance Reference Manual for COMSOL Multiphysics version 5.6, page 804 and following for more information. Best, Jeff

Arseny Electromagnetics

Posted: 2 years ago Oct 8, 2021, 10:20 a.m. EDT

Thank you, Jeff.

Thank you, Jeff.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.