Discussion Locked This discussion was locked by a forum moderator.

python for comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I was wondering if one can use Python or VBA (without the LIVE link EXCEL option) to control COMSOL, rather than Java or Matlab.

--
NAFTALI HERSCOVICI

9 Replies Last Post May 2, 2017, 11:27 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tuli

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 9, 2017, 9:29 a.m. EST
Bump. I would like to use a nice modern programming language to control COMSOL.
Bump. I would like to use a nice modern programming language to control COMSOL.

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 11, 2017, 5:21 p.m. EST
Bump, would also love a Livelink for Python SciPy

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 26, 2017, 4:30 p.m. EDT
I'd give this a bump as well. Scipy and COMSOL together would be great!
I'd give this a bump as well. Scipy and COMSOL together would be great!

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 27, 2017, 5:03 a.m. EDT
I hope at least they are thinking about it.
I hope at least they are thinking about it.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 27, 2017, 4:18 p.m. EDT
Hi

COMSOL has promised this for some years at the yearly conferences, but they also told us there are some legal issues to be sorted out first. It's not the same for a freeware to refer to Python, as for a commercial software, with many commercial ties. So we have to be patient, so far I'm always been pleased with the many improvements and efforts COMSOL do to follow suggestions from the user community.

But now with the 5.3 there is the internal scripting or "Developper - Model method" that does allow quite a lot of nice things, I'm just starting to learn its possibilities :)

--
Have fun COMSOLing
Ivar
Hi COMSOL has promised this for some years at the yearly conferences, but they also told us there are some legal issues to be sorted out first. It's not the same for a freeware to refer to Python, as for a commercial software, with many commercial ties. So we have to be patient, so far I'm always been pleased with the many improvements and efforts COMSOL do to follow suggestions from the user community. But now with the 5.3 there is the internal scripting or "Developper - Model method" that does allow quite a lot of nice things, I'm just starting to learn its possibilities :) -- Have fun COMSOLing Ivar

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 27, 2017, 5:07 p.m. EDT
Python is the scripting language for ArcGIS, the 900 lb gorilla of the GIS software work, and very much a commercial product. So they should be able to work this out.
Python is the scripting language for ArcGIS, the 900 lb gorilla of the GIS software work, and very much a commercial product. So they should be able to work this out.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 28, 2017, 1:32 a.m. EDT
Hi

I'm sure they want to and will (now I'm NOT from COMSOL so I cannot speak for them, I'm still convinced they are working hard for the best of us users too).
But you know when a company become successful there are a lot of other jealous, and you need to make good deals, not too exclusive ones so you may turn around easily, and with the time you end up with many deals to consider, sometimes conflicting.

The "optima of a system", with a long term perspective, is not the simple, and present, "sum of optima" ...

This situation changes for a "start-up" to a full grown well appreciated company. I have experienced this myself, so I have an understanding for the difficulties that might arise.

Still, I have always been impressed how COMSOL is working hard to be, and stay, independent, not having to follow rules of others and to propose genuine and original approaches to simulate multiple physics.
And today, I do not see that many true competitors to COMSOL, that is more of an issue for me as customer and end user of their products, a bit of true competition is good for us all ;)

--
Having fun COMSOLing
Ivar
Hi I'm sure they want to and will (now I'm NOT from COMSOL so I cannot speak for them, I'm still convinced they are working hard for the best of us users too). But you know when a company become successful there are a lot of other jealous, and you need to make good deals, not too exclusive ones so you may turn around easily, and with the time you end up with many deals to consider, sometimes conflicting. The "optima of a system", with a long term perspective, is not the simple, and present, "sum of optima" ... This situation changes for a "start-up" to a full grown well appreciated company. I have experienced this myself, so I have an understanding for the difficulties that might arise. Still, I have always been impressed how COMSOL is working hard to be, and stay, independent, not having to follow rules of others and to propose genuine and original approaches to simulate multiple physics. And today, I do not see that many true competitors to COMSOL, that is more of an issue for me as customer and end user of their products, a bit of true competition is good for us all ;) -- Having fun COMSOLing Ivar

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 28, 2017, 10:09 a.m. EDT

Same here, it would be fantastic.

[QUOTE] Bump, would also love a Livelink for Python SciPy [/QUOTE] Same here, it would be fantastic.

Posted: 7 years ago May 2, 2017, 11:27 a.m. EDT
Comsol is the only reason I still have Matlab installed at all. I'd much, MUCH rather script it with Python.

Not only because Python is, hands down, the better programming language. But also because it's free. As it stands now, I'm using Comsol with an outdated Matlab version simply because my company won't pay for a new license every year. And Comsol, quite annoyingly, doesn't support versions older than a year. Consequently, with every new Comsol release I have to work around new incompatibilities.

Obviously, though, I do use the latest Python version and upgrade soon after a new one comes out.
Comsol is the only reason I still have Matlab installed at all. I'd much, MUCH rather script it with Python. Not only because Python is, hands down, the better programming language. But also because it's free. As it stands now, I'm using Comsol with an outdated Matlab version simply because my company won't pay for a new license every year. And Comsol, quite annoyingly, doesn't support versions older than a year. Consequently, with every new Comsol release I have to work around new incompatibilities. Obviously, though, I do use the latest Python version and upgrade soon after a new one comes out.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.