Repairing and Improving Imported Meshes from 3D Scans
COMSOL Multiphysics® contains many features and functionality that enable you to create, repair, and improve volume meshes for imported surface meshes. In this previously held webinar, we begin with an introduction to the mesh file formats supported in the software and outline a typical workflow for meshing a surface mesh directly. The workflow outlined is then demonstrated in the software using the geometry from the Specific Absorption Rate in the Human Brain tutorial model.
Following the demonstration, a detailed discussion on how to correctly mesh imported surface meshes ensues. This includes an overview of the operations that are available for editing imported meshes, repairing surface meshes, and creating tetrahedral meshes. The Create Entities, Refine, and Adapt operations are specifically highlighted with explanations on how you can use them to prepare your meshes for simulation. Lastly, we go over the use cases for converting a mesh into a geometry object and show you how to create a mesh from your results.
There are several online resources, listed below, that provide further instruction on some of the topics discussed during the webinar:
- More on using the Refine and Adapt operations
- How to Refine and Adapt Imported Meshes (Blog post)
- Using Filter datasets to create geometry or for meshing directly
- Inspecting meshes in COMSOL Multiphysics
- More on mesh Import settings
- Improved Functionality and Tips for Importing STL and NASTRAN® Files (Blog post)
- STL Import Tutorial Series (Tutorial Model)