Get an introduction to 3D cable modeling in COMSOL Multiphysics®. This presentation is the second video in a 3-part series on modeling cable systems. In Part 1, we covered 2D cable modeling in COMSOL Multiphysics® and discuss topics like capacitive, inductive, and thermal analyses; armor and phase twist; and various bonding types. Here, we cover 3D modeling using a submarine cable model as an example.
Discussion topics include:
- Building geometries of double helically twisted cables
- Building meshes for large 3D periodic structures
- Analyzing twisted periodicity
- Investigating inductive effects in 3D
- Comparing 3D results with those from 2D and 2.5D models