Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Defitions of predefined variables not listed in Equation view

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

quick question: I need to see the definitions of some predefined variables (like ewfd.Jx from the EM waves interface). Everything I found online points to the "Equation view" to see the definitions. However, not all variables are listed there. Where can I find a complete list?

3 Replies Last Post May 2, 2017, 11:58 a.m. EDT

Posted: 7 years ago May 2, 2017, 5:39 a.m. EDT
Most of the time you can find the definition of a variable in Equation View. Also sometimes a variable only appears in the weak form, but not in the list of variable definition.

BTW, if you state the particular version more people may help you.
--
Pu, ZHANG
DTU Fotonik
Most of the time you can find the definition of a variable in Equation View. Also sometimes a variable only appears in the weak form, but not in the list of variable definition. BTW, if you state the particular version more people may help you. -- Pu, ZHANG DTU Fotonik

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago May 2, 2017, 8:38 a.m. EDT
Hi,

The fastest way of finding a variable is to search for it by Ctrl-F. In the results from the search you can double-click any row, and get automatically redirected to the corresponding reference in Equation View.

See the attached screenshots.

There is no comprehensive list of all variables. It would fill books. The variables which are visible and accessible to you as a user of COMSOL Multiphysics is of the same order of magnitude as the number of variables defined under the hood by the programmer of a (or maybe several?) traditional FE program. The order of magnitude is probably 10^5.

There is a small number of variables which, for various reasons, are not possible to show in Equation View. If you have a question about such a variable, you can send it so support.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, The fastest way of finding a variable is to search for it by Ctrl-F. In the results from the search you can double-click any row, and get automatically redirected to the corresponding reference in Equation View. See the attached screenshots. There is no comprehensive list of all variables. It would fill books. The variables which are visible and accessible to you as a user of COMSOL Multiphysics is of the same order of magnitude as the number of variables defined under the hood by the programmer of a (or maybe several?) traditional FE program. The order of magnitude is probably 10^5. There is a small number of variables which, for various reasons, are not possible to show in Equation View. If you have a question about such a variable, you can send it so support. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 7 years ago May 2, 2017, 11:58 a.m. EDT
Thank you very much! For future reference, I was able to find the required variable definitions in the "Equation view" node of the "Wave equation" node (not the Physics interface node)
Thank you very much! For future reference, I was able to find the required variable definitions in the "Equation view" node of the "Wave equation" node ([b]not[/b] the Physics interface node)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.