Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Select face by ID

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm creacting a geometry from an imported mesh. COMSOL tells me that "Face cannot be parametrized. -Face: 1382"

Now I'd like to find this face. Is it possible to select a face by ID?

2 Replies Last Post Oct 19, 2022, 7:33 a.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago Oct 12, 2022, 2:53 p.m. EDT
Updated: 2 years ago Oct 12, 2022, 2:56 p.m. EDT

If highlighting error message(s) doesn't already show you the problematic face, then try the following. (Caveat: This may or may not work in your particular case, due to the potential different kinds of surface numberings used within Comsol Multiphysics!) In the model builder, go to (these or equivalent in your model): Component 1--> Geometry 1. Right-click on Geometry 1. Choose Selections --> Explicit Selection. Now, under Settings, Entities to Select, change "Geometric entity level: from "Domain" to "Boundary." Now, hover the mouse over using the buttons on the right of the box of "Entities to select" and find the one that shows 'Paste Selection." Click that. A small "Paste Selection" dialog box will pop up. Type 1382 in that box and click OK. IF it says something like "Unknown geometry object," then you may have to do something slightly more complicated: In that case, use the mouse and the "select box" tool, to select your entire geometry so that every surface becomes listed in the "Entities to select" box that I mentioned earlier. Ideally, you can find your 1382 surface somewhere in that list. If not, then this approach isn't going to work for you. But if it is in the list, and (if necessary) you can delete all the other surfaces in the list, so that only the one you want is highlighted in the geometry image. Again, this may or may not work for you; I don't really know what is going on in your model! (Also, I suspect that the official Comsol Support folks can offer you a better way to do this, if you ask them.)

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
If highlighting error message(s) doesn't already show you the problematic face, then try the following. (Caveat: This may or may not work in your particular case, due to the potential different kinds of surface numberings used within Comsol Multiphysics!) In the model builder, go to (these or equivalent in your model): Component 1--> Geometry 1. Right-click on Geometry 1. Choose Selections --> Explicit Selection. Now, under Settings, Entities to Select, change "Geometric entity level: from "Domain" to "Boundary." Now, hover the mouse over using the buttons on the right of the box of "Entities to select" and find the one that shows 'Paste Selection." Click that. A small "Paste Selection" dialog box will pop up. Type 1382 in that box and click OK. IF it says something like "Unknown geometry object," then you may have to do something slightly more complicated: In that case, use the mouse and the "select box" tool, to select your entire geometry so that every surface becomes listed in the "Entities to select" box that I mentioned earlier. Ideally, you can find your 1382 surface somewhere in that list. If not, then this approach isn't going to work for you. But if it is in the list, and (if necessary) you can delete all the other surfaces in the list, so that only the one you want is highlighted in the geometry image. Again, this may or may not work for you; I don't really know what is going on in your model! (Also, I suspect that the official Comsol Support folks can offer you a better way to do this, if you ask them.)

Posted: 2 years ago Oct 19, 2022, 7:33 a.m. EDT

Thank you Robert, problem solved.

Thank you Robert, problem solved.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.