Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

About Fixed constraint

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
i have applied fixed constraint (in SM module) at one end of the plate. that is the displacements are zero in all (X,Y,Z)direction. What about rotation? rotation also zero in three direction?

can you explain me
please...

3 Replies Last Post Feb 2, 2017, 5:31 p.m. EST
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 12, 2013, 4:54 a.m. EDT
Hi,

In a Beam, Shell, or Plate interface, the Fixed condition means that all translations and rotations are zero. In the physics interface having only translational degrees of freedom it means constraining all translations.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, In a Beam, Shell, or Plate interface, the Fixed condition means that all translations and rotations are zero. In the physics interface having only translational degrees of freedom it means constraining all translations. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 21, 2016, 5:51 p.m. EST
but if the problem is a 3D problem like a solid, the rotations with fixed constraint are also equal to zero? in the case that are not zero, which constraint or condition I have to use for that the rotations are equal zero?

excuse my english
but if the problem is a 3D problem like a solid, the rotations with fixed constraint are also equal to zero? in the case that are not zero, which constraint or condition I have to use for that the rotations are equal zero? excuse my english

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 2, 2017, 5:31 p.m. EST
In a 3D solid analysis, there is no degree of freedom associated with a point's rotations, only its translations. Therefore you cannot directly constrain the rotation of individual points.
Jeff
In a 3D solid analysis, there is no degree of freedom associated with a point's rotations, only its translations. Therefore you cannot directly constrain the rotation of individual points. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.