Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with skin effect

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am novice in COMSOL.
I would like to obtain temperature distribution during current flow along aluminium plate. The current value is 100A.
I used Magnetic Fields and Heat Transfer in Solids physics. I obtained current density distribution.
I have problem with temperature distribution. In Heat Transfer in Solids I used heat flux, but I didn't obtain result.
Could someone help me?

Thanks,
Michael

2 Replies Last Post Mar 27, 2015, 8:38 a.m. EDT

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 27, 2015, 5:05 a.m. EDT
Hello Mr. Kopeć,

the Magnetic fields interface is rather used to compute magnetic field and induced current distributions in and around coils or conductors. If you are interested in simulating joule heating phenomena you should rather choose “Electric Currents” and “Heat Transfer in solids” interfaces.
Coupling of these two interfaces briefly shows model „busbar.mph” available in the COMSOL model library (“File”->”Model Library”).

I hope it helps.

Best regards,
Tomasz Krupicz
Hello Mr. Kopeć, the Magnetic fields interface is rather used to compute magnetic field and induced current distributions in and around coils or conductors. If you are interested in simulating joule heating phenomena you should rather choose “Electric Currents” and “Heat Transfer in solids” interfaces. Coupling of these two interfaces briefly shows model „busbar.mph” available in the COMSOL model library (“File”->”Model Library”). I hope it helps. Best regards, Tomasz Krupicz

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 27, 2015, 8:38 a.m. EDT
Hello,
this is good example, but problem is in frequency domain study.
Temperature doesn't changes with increasing alternating current frequency.
I'm using Frequency-Transient. "Heat Transfer in Solids" interface is supported by Frequency Domain?
Independently of different frequencies COMSOL give the same results.
I would like to obtain temperature distribution depending from current frequency.

Best regards,
Michael
Hello, this is good example, but problem is in frequency domain study. Temperature doesn't changes with increasing alternating current frequency. I'm using Frequency-Transient. "Heat Transfer in Solids" interface is supported by Frequency Domain? Independently of different frequencies COMSOL give the same results. I would like to obtain temperature distribution depending from current frequency. Best regards, Michael

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.