Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solving for modes with axisymmetric geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I've been wondering if anyone knows how to set-up Comsol to solve for waveguide ring resonator modes. I am used to solving for simple rectangular waveguides and for this I usually go to 2D space dimension, RF module, Perpendicular waves, Hybrid mode waves, Mode analysis. These modes have an electric field of the type E(x,y,z,t) = E(x,y) * exp(-i*b*z+i*w*t), and comsol solves for the propagation constant (eigenvalue) b and the eigenvector E(x,y).

However, my problem now is that I want to find the modes of a waveguide ring resonator; this is simply a straight waveguide wrapped around itself to form a ring. The cross section of the waveguide is the same, but now I want modes of the form E(x,y,z,t) = E(y,r,phi,t) = E(y,r) * exp(-i*m*phi+i*w*t).The structure can be formed by simply revolving about the y-axis; hence I thought to go in the axisymmetric space dimension of Comsol, but the RF module has no mode analysis for this option (only eigenfrequency analysis). Does anyone know how to make Comsol solve for these modes (which are leaky-complex by nature)?

Thanks a bunch,
David

2 Replies Last Post Jan 3, 2011, 1:43 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello David Duchesne

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 2, 2011, 4:54 a.m. EST
I'm actually interested in this as well, did you have any success?

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 3, 2011, 1:43 p.m. EST

No, I still have not figured out how to do it. I've been using Rsoft instead (FemSIM), which is much easier to us for this purpose it seems.
[QUOTE] I'm actually interested in this as well, did you have any success? [/QUOTE] No, I still have not figured out how to do it. I've been using Rsoft instead (FemSIM), which is much easier to us for this purpose it seems.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.