Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Issues with Pipe Flow and Surface Radiation interaction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Comsolers!

I am very new to the program, and I am having some issues regarding Non Isothermal Pipe Flow, Heat Transfer in Solids, and Heat Transfer with Surface to Surface Radiation.

I have a 1D pipe circuit, where the the inlet and outlet (plus 1 meter pipe for each of them) sections are resting on top of a block of soil, and the rest is buried underground. There is a flow of water in the pipe.

The main idea is to simulate the pipes being heated by the Sun's radiation, observe an increase in temperature in the pipe, and observe how the ground is being heated by the thermal transfer between the fluid-pipe-ground.

For some reason, I am not observing a Radiation - Thermal transfer interaction, and I do not know what am I doing wrong.

Here's the boundaries that I have:

For Surface to Surface Radiation: Defined an external radiation source by solar position, a diffuse surface and heat flux (both of these only on the side of the block that is illuminated by the Sun), defined a constant temperature at the base of the block of soil (which is not illuminated).

For Non Isothermal Pipe Flow: Defined an Inlet with a volumetric flow rate, a Heat Outflow at the outlet, and a wall heat transfer with internal film resistance.

For the Heat Transfer in Solid, I have defined a Heat Flux in all applicable domains.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I can provide more details if needed.

Thank you all,

Aaron

0 Replies Last Post Apr 21, 2016, 4:52 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Aaron Valle

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.