Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to add a mass source term to NS equation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone

I have a problem in adding a mass source term to the NS equation. I use it to account the mass loss due to vaporization during laser melting process. Currently I use the interface moving speed based on mass flux in the moving mesh module. But I'm not sure if it works properly.

Previously in V3, I can easily add the source term to the NS equation in the equation system.
But in the current V5 or V4 COMSOL, I cannot find the equation system, or any method to add a weak contribution to the continuity equation.

Do you have the solution? Thank you very much for your help.

2 Replies Last Post May 2, 2016, 5:56 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago May 2, 2016, 5:27 p.m. EDT
Click the View button, and select "Equation View", per COMSOL Multiphysics version 5.2 Reference Manual page 165.
Best,
Jeff
Click the View button, and select "Equation View", per COMSOL Multiphysics version 5.2 Reference Manual page 165. Best, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago May 2, 2016, 5:56 p.m. EDT
Thank you for your rapid response.

I found the weak form of the continuity equation in the laminar two phase flow, moving mesh module.
The form is as below.
test(p)*(-tpfmm.rho*tpfmm.divu-u*d(tpfmm.rho,x)-v*d(tpfmm.rho,y)-d(tpfmm.rho,TIME)+d(tpfmm.rho,x)*d(x,TIME)+d(tpfmm.rho,y)*d(y,TIME))

I can simply add a mass term with the test function in the end, right ?

One thing I could not understand is that why it starts with the shape function test(p), which denotes the pressure.

And one more thing is that whether the mass flux at the fluid-fluid interface contributes to the mass transfer or the mass loss during process. If so, the modification of continuity equation is not necessary. I understand that it indeed contributes to the mesh moving velocity at the interface, but not sure for the mass loss.

Thank you for your rapid response. I found the weak form of the continuity equation in the laminar two phase flow, moving mesh module. The form is as below. test(p)*(-tpfmm.rho*tpfmm.divu-u*d(tpfmm.rho,x)-v*d(tpfmm.rho,y)-d(tpfmm.rho,TIME)+d(tpfmm.rho,x)*d(x,TIME)+d(tpfmm.rho,y)*d(y,TIME)) I can simply add a mass term with the test function in the end, right ? One thing I could not understand is that why it starts with the shape function test(p), which denotes the pressure. And one more thing is that whether the mass flux at the fluid-fluid interface contributes to the mass transfer or the mass loss during process. If so, the modification of continuity equation is not necessary. I understand that it indeed contributes to the mesh moving velocity at the interface, but not sure for the mass loss.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.