Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Disk error while writing to temporary solution file

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Sir/Madam:

I running five different HT+CFD transient model simultaneously from last Saturday and today morning I noticed the error saying "Disk error while writing to temporary solution file." I never came across this situation before and therefore I need your suggestion. Please also suggest me how to change temporary directory.

Regards,
Hitesh Vora

4 Replies Last Post Jun 15, 2015, 9:57 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 9, 2011, 2:50 p.m. EST
Hi

check the installation guide, and use a NTFS disk with > 10Gb of free space (that is the max I have needed but my simulations hardly goes over days), as FAT32 has limite on file size (<4Gb)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the installation guide, and use a NTFS disk with > 10Gb of free space (that is the max I have needed but my simulations hardly goes over days), as FAT32 has limite on file size (

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 23, 2013, 9:15 p.m. EST
I've also had this problem. Our support staff at VLSCI figured it out: the problem is that Comsol on Linux uses /tmp by default, tries to write there without checking if there is sufficient space left, and crashes with this cryptic error message, because on those systems /tmp is mounted to a 1 GB partition, which is often not enough.

The solution is to run, for example:

comsol server -tmpdir $TMPDIR [...]

where $TMPDIR is some appropriate directory for large temporary files.
I've also had this problem. Our support staff at VLSCI figured it out: the problem is that Comsol on Linux uses /tmp by default, tries to write there without checking if there is sufficient space left, and crashes with this cryptic error message, because on those systems /tmp is mounted to a 1 GB partition, which is often not enough. The solution is to run, for example: comsol server -tmpdir $TMPDIR [...] where $TMPDIR is some appropriate directory for large temporary files.

Marcela Mercado Montoya

Posted: 9 years ago Dec 2, 2014, 9:47 p.m. EST
Hi every one... I have had teh same problem many times, sometimes it can be solved by deleting some files (getting more space free) but sometimes, even if you delete some Gb the error still appearing... I have done the next: I delete all the temporary files existing and change the temporary directory used by comsol to save temporary files... then I reopen the file and it creates a new temporary file and for me worked, because the error didn't appear again.... I hope is useful for somebody, because that error was a big deal for me...
Hi every one... I have had teh same problem many times, sometimes it can be solved by deleting some files (getting more space free) but sometimes, even if you delete some Gb the error still appearing... I have done the next: I delete all the temporary files existing and change the temporary directory used by comsol to save temporary files... then I reopen the file and it creates a new temporary file and for me worked, because the error didn't appear again.... I hope is useful for somebody, because that error was a big deal for me...

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 15, 2015, 9:57 p.m. EDT
Dear Hitesh:
Now, I have a problem how to remove the material that the temperature is higher than the point of gasification. To my delight I found the answer in you paper published(One-dimensional multipulse laser machining of structural alumina: evolution of surface topography).So I hope you can give me some useful advice and solve the problem of the trouble.
Regards
hongwei-zhang
Dear Hitesh: Now, I have a problem how to remove the material that the temperature is higher than the point of gasification. To my delight I found the answer in you paper published(One-dimensional multipulse laser machining of structural alumina: evolution of surface topography).So I hope you can give me some useful advice and solve the problem of the trouble. Regards hongwei-zhang

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.