Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cannot start up COMSOL 44

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have installed both COMSOL 43a and COMSOL 44. I used to be able to use both, but suddenly - after rebooting my computer (I work on Linux) - COMSOL 43a starts up fine, but COMSOL 44 has a problem.
When I go to the log file, I get a long list of error messages.
First a long list of !ENTRY / !MESSAGE errors about org.eclipse.osgi and then a JAVA error "Could not find the COMSOL Application 'com.comsol.guiclient.application'".

How can I solve this?

Example:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 2 0 2014-03-28 10:36:20.013
!MESSAGE One or more bundles are not resolved because the following root constraints are not resolved:
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.osgi 2 0 2014-03-28 10:36:20.013
!MESSAGE Bundle update@plugins/org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86_64_3.8.1.v3834e.jar was not resolved.
!SUBENTRY 2 org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86_64 2 0 2014-03-28 10:36:20.013
!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2014-03-28 10:36:20.017
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
Exception:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not find the COMSOL Application 'com.comsol.guiclient.application'
(rethrown as com.comsol.util.exceptions.FlException)
Could not find the COMSOL Application 'com.comsol.guiclient.application'

5 Replies Last Post Dec 18, 2014, 11:57 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 28, 2014, 10:18 a.m. EDT
Maybe you upgraded your java runtime engine (JRE)? downgrading maybe an option.

Also, after any kernel upgrade I do have problems running comsol. That is because nvidia's driver is a proprietary one and it is not reinstalled along with the new linux kernel. If you happen have an nvidia graphic card and a proprietary driver installed, try to upgrade it or reinstall it.

Do you have debian or any debian-based distribution? try running this command glxgears and tell me what happens.

hope it helps,
Felipe BM
Maybe you upgraded your java runtime engine (JRE)? downgrading maybe an option. Also, after any kernel upgrade I do have problems running comsol. That is because nvidia's driver is a proprietary one and it is not reinstalled along with the new linux kernel. If you happen have an nvidia graphic card and a proprietary driver installed, try to upgrade it or reinstall it. Do you have debian or any debian-based distribution? try running this command glxgears and tell me what happens. hope it helps, Felipe BM

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 28, 2014, 10:38 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Thanks for your fast reply.

No, I didn't do any update, neither on JRE or on kernel or NVIDIA. However, I did reboot my computer before this problem occurred.

After the reboot, when trying to start-up COMSOL 4.3a or 4.4, COMSOL gave "JAVA permission denied" errors and didn't start up. I had this problem before and found on the internet that the following command fixed this:
chcon -t textrel_shlib_t /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_41/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so
(And then the same with a long list of other Java libs)
So, I did this, but also for some JAVA *.so libs that were located in COMSOL4.3 subdirectories.

After that, COMSOL 4.3a started up fine. However, with COMSOL 44, I got the problems as quoted in my first message.

Somehow, my guess is that by doing this "chcon" commands on "COMSOL 4.3 Java libs" (excuse me if I use the wrong terminology here, for me this is all very cryptic), some of the "COMSOL 4.4 java libs" ended up "pointing to the wrong lib" (again, I have no idea whether any of this makes sense).

Since I didn't know how to fix this (it didn't tell which COMSOL 4.4 java libs to fix), I just re-installed COMSOL 4.4 completely. Now, everything works fine. But of course, it would be nice to understand the origins of this problem so that I don't have to reinstall every time this occurs.

I am running Scientific Linux by the way, which is some special variant of RedHat.

Best regards,

Machiel

Hi, Thanks for your fast reply. No, I didn't do any update, neither on JRE or on kernel or NVIDIA. However, I did reboot my computer before this problem occurred. After the reboot, when trying to start-up COMSOL 4.3a or 4.4, COMSOL gave "JAVA permission denied" errors and didn't start up. I had this problem before and found on the internet that the following command fixed this: chcon -t textrel_shlib_t /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_41/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so (And then the same with a long list of other Java libs) So, I did this, but also for some JAVA *.so libs that were located in COMSOL4.3 subdirectories. After that, COMSOL 4.3a started up fine. However, with COMSOL 44, I got the problems as quoted in my first message. Somehow, my guess is that by doing this "chcon" commands on "COMSOL 4.3 Java libs" (excuse me if I use the wrong terminology here, for me this is all very cryptic), some of the "COMSOL 4.4 java libs" ended up "pointing to the wrong lib" (again, I have no idea whether any of this makes sense). Since I didn't know how to fix this (it didn't tell which COMSOL 4.4 java libs to fix), I just re-installed COMSOL 4.4 completely. Now, everything works fine. But of course, it would be nice to understand the origins of this problem so that I don't have to reinstall every time this occurs. I am running Scientific Linux by the way, which is some special variant of RedHat. Best regards, Machiel

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 17, 2014, 7:30 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I still have the same problem. Whenever I switch off my computer and then switch it back on, I cannot start up COMSOL44.
After doing "chcon -t textrel_shlib_t /usr/local/comsol44_copy1/java/glnx86/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so", the graphical interface starts up, but then complaints about this:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not find the COMSOL Application 'com.comsol.guiclient.application'

When I try to run "glxgears", it runs fine by the way.

The only way I can get COMSOL 44 to work, is to re-install it completely, which is a bit annoying. My guess I have to set some kind of JAVA path, but I have no idea how.

Cheers,

Machiel
Hi, I still have the same problem. Whenever I switch off my computer and then switch it back on, I cannot start up COMSOL44. After doing "chcon -t textrel_shlib_t /usr/local/comsol44_copy1/java/glnx86/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so", the graphical interface starts up, but then complaints about this: java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not find the COMSOL Application 'com.comsol.guiclient.application' When I try to run "glxgears", it runs fine by the way. The only way I can get COMSOL 44 to work, is to re-install it completely, which is a bit annoying. My guess I have to set some kind of JAVA path, but I have no idea how. Cheers, Machiel

Posted: 9 years ago Dec 18, 2014, 11:46 a.m. EST
Hi
I have the same problem , after running i get this Error msg :
How can i solve it ?

Regards
Hi I have the same problem , after running i get this Error msg : java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not find the COMSOL Application 'com.comsol.guiclient.application' How can i solve it ? Regards

Posted: 9 years ago Dec 18, 2014, 11:57 a.m. EST

I still haven't solved it.
Everytime I have rebooted my computer, I have to reinstall COMSOL 4.4 (With 4.3 I don't have this problem).
It must be something about paths that are set correctly by the installation script.
I still haven't solved it. Everytime I have rebooted my computer, I have to reinstall COMSOL 4.4 (With 4.3 I don't have this problem). It must be something about paths that are set correctly by the installation script.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.