Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Interior fan in CFD laminar model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I would like to know how should I use the "Interior Fan" node, because my CFD models are unable to converge whenever I use this node. I've seen the usage of the "Fan" node in the PSU example model, but this node is seems different. Is there any other way to model a forced air movement inside a model?

Best regards,
Iker.

4 Replies Last Post May 2, 2017, 10:35 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Iker Rodriguez

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 7 years ago Jan 9, 2017, 1:35 p.m. EST
Hi,

I have the same issue and am interested in knowing how to make the interior fan BC work. In my case it would be to model a turbulent flow.
Hi, I have the same issue and am interested in knowing how to make the interior fan BC work. In my case it would be to model a turbulent flow.

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 11, 2017, 11:48 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Having an interior fan in the modeling of Laminar/turbulent flow should be straight forward. You should define it on a line in 2D domains and on a plate in 3D domains.
Remember the line and the plate should be interior boundaries. It should work by using interior fan default settings. If it doesn't work, upload your case here, then we can check it.

Best regards,
Reza
Hi, Having an interior fan in the modeling of Laminar/turbulent flow should be straight forward. You should define it on a line in 2D domains and on a plate in 3D domains. Remember the line and the plate should be interior boundaries. It should work by using interior fan default settings. If it doesn't work, upload your case here, then we can check it. Best regards, Reza

Posted: 7 years ago May 2, 2017, 10:18 a.m. EDT
Dear Reza

I am having the same issue with the interior fan boundary condition. My model is 2D insulated box with a hot element inside. It is a problem of natural convection and I need to put a fan inside to recircle the internal air, the objective is to optimize the time of heating for the air. I have attached the file, please your support and help to get it on. I have try for different flow and pressure values for the fan but it fails for initialize. I can not ramp the fan values, cause the time of the heat transfer is one of my needs. I have also tried refining the mesh on the fan side.

Thank you & Regards.

David.
Dear Reza I am having the same issue with the interior fan boundary condition. My model is 2D insulated box with a hot element inside. It is a problem of natural convection and I need to put a fan inside to recircle the internal air, the objective is to optimize the time of heating for the air. I have attached the file, please your support and help to get it on. I have try for different flow and pressure values for the fan but it fails for initialize. I can not ramp the fan values, cause the time of the heat transfer is one of my needs. I have also tried refining the mesh on the fan side. Thank you & Regards. David.

Posted: 7 years ago May 2, 2017, 10:35 a.m. EDT
I also would like to add. That the model must be at high pressure as an initial condition ( 4 bar - 8 bar) . May be that is the reason why the fan conflicts to initialize.

Thank you.

David.
I also would like to add. That the model must be at high pressure as an initial condition ( 4 bar - 8 bar) . May be that is the reason why the fan conflicts to initialize. Thank you. David.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.