Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

linear elastic fluid model with attenuation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,
I'm developing a model to predict the sound pressure around a point source. All the domains are composed by water and I need a fluid model with attenuation. So i set up the attenuation coefficient expressed as Np/m as function of frequency (I'm dealing with frequency domain). The trouble is that the sound pressure calculated through the model with attenuation results bigger then the sound pressure calculated with a linear elastic model without attenuation. the only way a found to solve the problem was to put a minus sign forward the attenuation coefficient, but i think this solution has no physic explaination. Can someone help me to understand the problem?

1 Reply Last Post Jan 25, 2016, 1:01 p.m. EST
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago Jan 25, 2016, 1:01 p.m. EST
Hi Pietro,

One possible reason that comes to mind is that the attenuation (and other forms of damping) also affect the natural frequencies. So, for example, if there is a natural frequency at 100 Hz without attenuation and that drops to say 90 Hz with attenuation, and you request a solution at a frequency of 90 Hz the resulting pressure may be higher with attenuation.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Pietro, One possible reason that comes to mind is that the attenuation (and other forms of damping) also affect the natural frequencies. So, for example, if there is a natural frequency at 100 Hz without attenuation and that drops to say 90 Hz with attenuation, and you request a solution at a frequency of 90 Hz the resulting pressure may be higher with attenuation. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.