Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Introduction of BEM solver for Acoustics

Jon H Acoustical Engineering

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I see from the recent presentation by Mads J. Herring Jensen at the COMSOL conference in Boston in October (uk.comsol.com/paper/download/257851/jensen_presentation.pdf) that there is an intention to add a Boundary Element Method solver to the Acoustics Module. We use COMSOL to teach numerical simulation methods for acoustics, but presently we are using in-house BEM code; having this functionality integrated into the same modelling environment would therefore be of great interest to us. I was wondering if you have any idea about the time-scale over which this might be released?

Best regards, Jonathan Hargreaves

4 Replies Last Post Mar 29, 2017, 11:16 a.m. EDT
Bjorn Sjodin COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 19, 2016, 11:34 a.m. EST
Hi Jonathan,

We are indeed working on including more Boundary Element Method (BEM) functionality in COMSOL Multiphysics. A certain amount of BEM technology is already in use in the Corrosion Module and we hope to expand BEM to the Acoustics Module and other products in the future. However, at this time we cannot give any time-estimate for when this new functionality will be released.

Best regards,
Bjorn Sjodin
COMSOL, Inc.
Hi Jonathan, We are indeed working on including more Boundary Element Method (BEM) functionality in COMSOL Multiphysics. A certain amount of BEM technology is already in use in the Corrosion Module and we hope to expand BEM to the Acoustics Module and other products in the future. However, at this time we cannot give any time-estimate for when this new functionality will be released. Best regards, Bjorn Sjodin COMSOL, Inc.

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 19, 2016, 11:37 a.m. EST
OK thanks. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye out...
OK thanks. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye out...

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 29, 2017, 11:11 a.m. EDT
Hello,

noticing today that you announced a new release with additional BEM support (for electrostatics and corrosion), I just wanted to reiterate our interest in you incorporating a BEM solver for Acoustics. Surely it is pretty much the simplest physics to do it for?!

Best regards, Jonathan Hargreaves
Hello, noticing today that you announced a new release with additional BEM support (for electrostatics and corrosion), I just wanted to reiterate our interest in you incorporating a BEM solver for Acoustics. Surely it is pretty much the simplest physics to do it for?! Best regards, Jonathan Hargreaves

Bjorn Sjodin COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 29, 2017, 11:16 a.m. EDT
Hi Jonathan,

Yes version 5.3 that is being released in a few weeks will have physics interfaces for electrostatics and corrosion based on the boundary element method. We are also working on acoustics functionality based on boundary elements but it is not ready for release yet and we cannot give a firm date for its release yet. Rest assured, we are working hard on it.

Cheers,
Bjorn
Hi Jonathan, Yes version 5.3 that is being released in a few weeks will have physics interfaces for electrostatics and corrosion based on the boundary element method. We are also working on acoustics functionality based on boundary elements but it is not ready for release yet and we cannot give a firm date for its release yet. Rest assured, we are working hard on it. Cheers, Bjorn

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.