Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Updating vertices in geometry / mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone,

I am new to COMSOL. If possible, I would greatly appreciate some help on my (I think simple) problem:

1) I have a 2D n x m geometry, with several rectangular regions within (fixed outer boundary, symmetry between regions).
2) I have successfully generated a mesh over the geometry.
3) I would like to update, with a displacement vector (u,v), every fourth vertex (x,y) uniformly within the mesh.

I can think of 2 ways of doing this:

a) Add a 2D point every 4 units to the geometry. Then apply a fixed displacement at these points.

Problem with a): I am using simulink to add these points and it is taking several hours to do it. My dimensions are 700 x 600, and so I am adding roughly 26,000 points - very time consuming!!

b) Retrieve vertices from mesh triangulation, update every fourth vertex.

Problem: I don't know how to access these vertices. Is there a way to get these and update them?

I am using solid mechanics (solid), and custom material (specified by Young's modulus and Poission's ratio).

In short, the goal is to interpolate the regions in between every four vertices, and compare them with optical flow output (i.e., ground truth displacements) to determine the proper values for Youngs and Poisson's.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

1 Reply Last Post Nov 5, 2010, 9:50 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 5, 2010, 9:50 a.m. EDT
A quick update:

I just realized that in my previous post, I was a little unclear. What I would like to do is the following:

After meshing, I would like to apply a displacement at a node (vertex) defined by the mesh. Can someone please explain how this is done?

In the attached model, I would like to apply a fixed displacement to the mesh vertex close to (.2,.2). Thanks!
A quick update: I just realized that in my previous post, I was a little unclear. What I would like to do is the following: After meshing, I would like to apply a displacement at a node (vertex) defined by the mesh. Can someone please explain how this is done? In the attached model, I would like to apply a fixed displacement to the mesh vertex close to (.2,.2). Thanks!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.