Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL Example will not work

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

To the COMSOL Community,

I have problems running the example model found at

www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/616/

this model was created for Version 3.5a I have Version 4.0a.
I do not have the Chemical Engineering Module but it reads it nicely the model. I thought I had all the routines require to solve this problem however when I do a right click solve the solver complains saying that it finds NO SOLUTION. What am I doing wrong? Has anyone tried this in version 4.0a? Please let me know.

I tried following the instructions line by line and adapting it to my COMSOL yet it does not work.
Is there something wrong with version to version ? Or I really need the Chemical Engineering Module ?
Am I doing something wrong?

Best wishes,

Pablo

4 Replies Last Post Nov 5, 2010, 1:59 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 4, 2010, 3:33 p.m. EDT
This model uses the swirl flow capability found in the Chemical Engineering Module (now in the CFD Module). It is not expected to work in the base package.
Jeff
This model uses the swirl flow capability found in the Chemical Engineering Module (now in the CFD Module). It is not expected to work in the base package. Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 4, 2010, 3:54 p.m. EDT
Thank you for your reply. I am still a novice using COMSOL but I do have the "swirl flow" capability in my COMSOL.
So I do need then the CFD Module correct?

Best wishes,

Pablo
Thank you for your reply. I am still a novice using COMSOL but I do have the "swirl flow" capability in my COMSOL. So I do need then the CFD Module correct? Best wishes, Pablo

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 4, 2010, 5:30 p.m. EDT
It sounds like you do have the CFD Module then.

The model was set up for version 3.5a so it may need some tweaking to run in a later version.

Jeff
It sounds like you do have the CFD Module then. The model was set up for version 3.5a so it may need some tweaking to run in a later version. Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 5, 2010, 1:59 p.m. EDT
I have a similar problem: the microwave oven example does not work. I launch it through the File->Open model library menu, try to compute the "Solver Sequence 1" and get the error:

study feature time1 has no activation defined for physics rfw

The error entry in the "Problems" tree says following:

Failed to find consistent initial values.
Out of memory during LU factorization.

Best wishes
Eugen
I have a similar problem: the microwave oven example does not work. I launch it through the File->Open model library menu, try to compute the "Solver Sequence 1" and get the error: study feature time1 has no activation defined for physics rfw The error entry in the "Problems" tree says following: Failed to find consistent initial values. Out of memory during LU factorization. Best wishes Eugen

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.