Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Charge transport convergance at low potentials

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I've been working on a transient 1D charge transport problem that involves diffusion and migration between two layers separated by a membrane. The solver seems to evaluate a solution when the voltage applied is 0.8V, but for a smaller applied voltage (0.2V for example), consistent initial values cannot be found. This seems a bit counterintuitive for me as I would expect the higher voltage to result in sharper gradients and therefore be more difficult to solve, however the opposite is the case here.

In this problem the concentration of some of the mobile species is determined by the potential (a capacitive behaviour), so a lower applied potential corresponds to smaller initial concentrations for the solver to work with. Might this situation indicate that my relative and absolute tolerances should be tighter? Reducing them delays the solver from throwing an error, but at the expense of solver termination (by either convergance or error).

Any insight is greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

0 Replies Last Post Nov 5, 2010, 12:21 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Aaron

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.