Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

help needed with meshing coupled microrings

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am having trouble meshing my model of coupled microrings. I have tried free meshing and changing the scale factors, boundary meshing, map meshing and I cannot figure it out. If anyone could help me out, that would be great. I have attached the model file below.

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post Nov 24, 2010, 4:30 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 24, 2010, 4:30 p.m. EST
Hi

I believe the main reason is that youre volumes do not link correcly. In fact you do not have a "well behaved" geometry. You have small long straight cylinders, and circular chapes but these do not meet 100% and you have silver edges/planes at the intersetions, at least 8 or 16 of them !

count the domains: 2*4 tubes +2 large and 2 small and one small joining cylinder = 13 items, the doman list arrive to 29 ! the items are so small that you hardly see them !

How to get around ?

1) make the long thin cylinders somewhat longer in both direction so they really overlap and make a full union with remove internal boundaries selected, the result is one volume object = domain entitiy, but because of the size changes this could be more complex to mesh
2) make the long thin cylinders longer as above, then double each of the 5 Z axis cylinders and substract the extra Z axis cylinders, one by one, from the 8 long thin tubes. Then you end up with 13 clean entities, without overlap and these are easier to mesh individually.
3) make one quarter first (+/-45° around +x, or +y axis) or even 1/8 and then mirror and rotate with the affine transformation available (quicker to build)

get used to check your mesh quality and plot and analyse all items with poor (<0.05 or 0.01) quality

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe the main reason is that youre volumes do not link correcly. In fact you do not have a "well behaved" geometry. You have small long straight cylinders, and circular chapes but these do not meet 100% and you have silver edges/planes at the intersetions, at least 8 or 16 of them ! count the domains: 2*4 tubes +2 large and 2 small and one small joining cylinder = 13 items, the doman list arrive to 29 ! the items are so small that you hardly see them ! How to get around ? 1) make the long thin cylinders somewhat longer in both direction so they really overlap and make a full union with remove internal boundaries selected, the result is one volume object = domain entitiy, but because of the size changes this could be more complex to mesh 2) make the long thin cylinders longer as above, then double each of the 5 Z axis cylinders and substract the extra Z axis cylinders, one by one, from the 8 long thin tubes. Then you end up with 13 clean entities, without overlap and these are easier to mesh individually. 3) make one quarter first (+/-45° around +x, or +y axis) or even 1/8 and then mirror and rotate with the affine transformation available (quicker to build) get used to check your mesh quality and plot and analyse all items with poor (

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.