Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrostatics vs Electric Currents

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using COMSOL for a university research task, trying to simulate and verify results from a paper on DC DEP (dielectrophoresis) and have been advised to use the electrostatics physics for the DC voltage. Initially it seemed to work fine, with only the DEP force. After looking through other models in COMSOL and online I found that there is a built in expression for the electroosmotic flow under single phase laminar flow, and when I tried to add that I did not get what was expected or should happen.

There are a few models etc which do use the electroosmotic flow such as the electroosmotic mixer (www.comsol.asia/showroom/gallery/485/) which all use electric currents. So I tried just testing the electrostatics and the electric currents and came up with these 2 files with completely different results, when i believe they should be the same as the electric current results.

Can anyone explain what is happening or what i am doing wrong? I guess it doesnt matter whether I use statics or currents in the end, but this does seem very odd.

0 Replies Last Post Dec 2, 2010, 9:39 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Daniel Hankins

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.