Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Spherical mapped coordinate system in a 2D-axisymmetrical problem

Morten Wollert Nygren

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate a piezoelectric transducer shaped as the cap of a hollow sphere. This should be a 2D-axisymmetrical problems, since the cap is axisymmetrical.

The problem is that I would like the polarization of the piezoelectric material to be perpendicular to the surface of the cap (ie radial). I have tried to do this by aligning the piezoelectric material model with a mapped coordinate system where coordinate 1 = atan(R/Z), 2 = PHI and 3 = sqrt(R² + Z²), and the coordinates are forced to be othonormal. But the results are, in parts of the transducer, of by several magnitudes.

What is the correct way to create a spherically polarized material in a 2D-axisymmetrical problem?

I have searched the knowledge database and the program documentation, but haven't found any answers.

1 Reply Last Post Feb 4, 2011, 1:00 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Morten Wollert Nygren

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 4, 2011, 1:00 p.m. EST
hi dear friend

i have the same problem . i really need to how to spherical coordinate . the ivar said i shoud the knowldge base.
but i cannt use it.

its kind of u if send me this subject. if u find a solvent , iwill apprtiate if giud me also.

best regard

hi dear friend i have the same problem . i really need to how to spherical coordinate . the ivar said i shoud the knowldge base. but i cannt use it. its kind of u if send me this subject. if u find a solvent , iwill apprtiate if giud me also. best regard

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.