Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3 D hexagonaly arranged coils

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.

I have arrange 6 DC coils in 3 D. Each coil (ring shape with small iron core in its center - solenoid) is placed on one surface of a hexagon prism core. Coils are radially orientated toward hexagon prism center. The idea is to excite coils in such manner that three neighboring coils to "give" magnetic field to hexagon prism core and that the three remaining neighboring coils "take out" magnetic field from hexagon prism core.
So far I have manage to get correct magnetic flux density results only for two coils - a pair, y axis orientated, global coordinate system. As soon I rotate these two coils, +-60 deg., magnetic flux density value drops significantly. Also, magnetic flux density spreading pattern, Arrow Volume, is incorrect. I have added additional Base Coordinate System and rotated it for appropriate angle, 3 x 3 matrix, but with no final effect on magnetic flux results nor spreading pattern.
Coils are made in a Air Sphere, Work plane xy, Square/Rectangle and Revolved. Small core and hexagon prism were AutoCAD imported. Materials: Air, Copper and Soft Iron (with losses). Magnetic field node: added secondary Ampere`s Law for the non-linear Iron cores and External Current Density (just like in Helmholtz coils example) and chosen secondary coordinate system.
Meshed, computed.

Does any one have some ideas why only one pair of coils gives good magnetic flux density results, but not the remaining two angled pair.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 Reply Last Post Sep 17, 2016, 1:03 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Aleksandar Poznic

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago Sep 17, 2016, 1:03 p.m. EDT
Solved it.
Solved it.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.