Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol Error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi:

I have a 3D geometry and rotate it by a certain angle
When I toggle between the geometry tab and the physics tab,
i get an error stating the following:

COMSOL ERROR:
"Could Not Resolve Domain Relations"

What could be the possible reason for this error?

Thanks
PJ

3 Replies Last Post Apr 5, 2011, 5:51 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 19, 2011, 3:56 p.m. EST
Hi

Domains are the highest level geometrical "entities", generated during the "geomanalyze()" process (or matlab command). In V4 its when you pass the geometry "Finish" line. Then your geometry is analysed, duplicates are suppressed, intersections and splits are performed, each item is ordered ad idenified=numbered such that you end up with domains (volumes in 3D, surfaces in 2D, lines in 1D) and boundaries (surfaces in 3D, lines in 2D and Points in 1D) respectivey. When you rotate you might either be keeping the original parts, and if you make these overlap the results might be "silver faces, or very short lines and geoemtrical entities, than sometimes COMSOL cannot manage to resolve.

Check carefully your geometry in high zoom mode, something is not clean therein, but it's difficult to say wht from where I am :)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Domains are the highest level geometrical "entities", generated during the "geomanalyze()" process (or matlab command). In V4 its when you pass the geometry "Finish" line. Then your geometry is analysed, duplicates are suppressed, intersections and splits are performed, each item is ordered ad idenified=numbered such that you end up with domains (volumes in 3D, surfaces in 2D, lines in 1D) and boundaries (surfaces in 3D, lines in 2D and Points in 1D) respectivey. When you rotate you might either be keeping the original parts, and if you make these overlap the results might be "silver faces, or very short lines and geoemtrical entities, than sometimes COMSOL cannot manage to resolve. Check carefully your geometry in high zoom mode, something is not clean therein, but it's difficult to say wht from where I am :) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 20, 2011, 3:41 a.m. EST
In addition to Ivar,

Please note that this can also be a problem if you are intending to use assemblies in your model.

/Onur
In addition to Ivar, Please note that this can also be a problem if you are intending to use assemblies in your model. /Onur

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2011, 5:51 a.m. EDT
Hi

I was using 'Form a Union' as finalization method and I got the same error message, I tried out 'Form an Assembly' and it resolved my problem, but still, I have no ideas why so.
Hi I was using 'Form a Union' as finalization method and I got the same error message, I tried out 'Form an Assembly' and it resolved my problem, but still, I have no ideas why so.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.