Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can't open COMSOL 5.2 with R2016a Matlab on MacOS Sierra

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have installed COMSOL 5.2 with Matlab. My matlab is R2016a version, and I use macOS Sierra. The COMSOL itself runs withot the problem but when I tried to run COMSOL with matlab, I saw this error message in terminal windows.

Last login: Sat Dec 10 17:31:58 on ttys000
MBP:~ Joe$ /Applications/COMSOL52/Multiphysics/bin/comsol mphserver -port 2036
grep: /Users/Joe: No such file or directory
grep: 1/Library/Preferences/COMSOL/v52/comsol.prefs: No such file or directory
Error: Could not find or load main class 1.Library.Preferences.COMSOL.v52.tomcat
MBP:~ Joe$

I check the file mentioned in the error message and I could find it. If anyone have had the same issue and knew the soluition, please let me know.

Thank you,
Joe

3 Replies Last Post Feb 3, 2017, 12:13 p.m. EST

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 10, 2016, 5:40 p.m. EST
Also I checked this forum

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/118022/

but it did not work on my case.

Joe
Also I checked this forum https://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/118022/ but it did not work on my case. Joe

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 3, 2017, 7:31 a.m. EST
Hi Joe, did you solve the problem? I ran into the same problem as you did. I think there's something wrong with the matlab path. I checked the previous posts and tried to modify the comsol.ini and comsolmphserver.ini in order to add the right matlab path to be identified by Comsol, but in vain. My macOS Sierra version is 10.12.3 and the comsol version is the latest one you can find on the product list(5.2a). Looking forward to your response.

Best Regards'
Zhi
Hi Joe, did you solve the problem? I ran into the same problem as you did. I think there's something wrong with the matlab path. I checked the previous posts and tried to modify the comsol.ini and comsolmphserver.ini in order to add the right matlab path to be identified by Comsol, but in vain. My macOS Sierra version is 10.12.3 and the comsol version is the latest one you can find on the product list(5.2a). Looking forward to your response. Best Regards' Zhi

Posted: 7 years ago Feb 3, 2017, 12:13 p.m. EST
Hello,

I did solve the issue. You're right that's the path problem. My case is a bit strange. I bought a new Mac and restore the back-up from old Mac via time machine. Somehow, it created new users, and my Matlab and COMSOL are installed under different users. So what I did was re-installing both programs under the same user. So I would suggest you two things.

1. Matlab and COMSOL should be installed under the same user.
2. Make sure that you refer to the correct Matlab address in the COMSOL preference.

Hope it helps,
Joe
Hello, I did solve the issue. You're right that's the path problem. My case is a bit strange. I bought a new Mac and restore the back-up from old Mac via time machine. Somehow, it created new users, and my Matlab and COMSOL are installed under different users. So what I did was re-installing both programs under the same user. So I would suggest you two things. 1. Matlab and COMSOL should be installed under the same user. 2. Make sure that you refer to the correct Matlab address in the COMSOL preference. Hope it helps, Joe

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.