Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Capacitance with an electric shield

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone!

I'd like to determine the capacitance between two wires a metal plate inserted between them to act as an electric shield. In the COMSOL 3.3 AC/DC Module 3D Electrostatics Application Mode I set one of the wires to the "port" boundary condition, set the other to "ground," and set the plate to the "electric shielding" boundary condition. The wires and plate are surrounded by a large box with the "zero charge / symmetry" boundary condition applied at its six surfaces. My geometry and an image of my simulation results are attached.

My problem is that the electrostatic potential varies across the surface of the plate. For a conducting metal plate, the potential should be constant everywhere on its surface. Evidently COMSOL is treating the plate as non-conducting.

What boundary conditions must I apply to the plate to ensure it acts as a conducting electric shield? Do I need to use a different application mode?

Thank you!

M. Dyck

P.S. I recognize this problem could likely be simplified to 2D but I will be adding additional geometry objects in the future which necessitate a 3D model.

3 Replies Last Post Jan 31, 2011, 8:22 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 30, 2011, 10:57 p.m. EST
Just a bump.

I'd really appreciate any insights the COMSOL community may be able to share on this issue. This problem is an integral part of my capstone project for my degree, but despite extensive research into COMSOL modeling methodologies I have yet to find a solution.

Is it possible that COMSOL was not designed to handle capacitance calculations when electric shielding is involved?
Just a bump. I'd really appreciate any insights the COMSOL community may be able to share on this issue. This problem is an integral part of my capstone project for my degree, but despite extensive research into COMSOL modeling methodologies I have yet to find a solution. Is it possible that COMSOL was not designed to handle capacitance calculations when electric shielding is involved?

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 31, 2011, 4:30 a.m. EST
Hi,

there are probably not many people using 3.3 any longer. I checked in 3.4 Electrostatics, generalized and didn't find an 'electric shielding' BC. Did you choose 'electric insulation' instead? This would explain your results.Electric insulation does not shield the electric field, it only shields the current field.

To model an electric shield, your plate subdomain must be conducting and you keep it either floating (continuity BC) or you ground it or you apply a potential, Depending on what you want to model.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, there are probably not many people using 3.3 any longer. I checked in 3.4 Electrostatics, generalized and didn't find an 'electric shielding' BC. Did you choose 'electric insulation' instead? This would explain your results.Electric insulation does not shield the electric field, it only shields the current field. To model an electric shield, your plate subdomain must be conducting and you keep it either floating (continuity BC) or you ground it or you apply a potential, Depending on what you want to model. Cheers Edgar

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 31, 2011, 8:22 a.m. EST
Hi

in 3.5a I believe there is a floating potential electrode model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in 3.5a I believe there is a floating potential electrode model -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.