Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Filling an empty space with fluid (heat transfer in solids)?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am pretty new to comsol multiphysics and I got a question.
I want to simulate the heat transfer in a high pressure vessel which is filled with
supercritical ammonia. The vessel is heated with cartridge heaters.
I chose the "heat transfer in solids" module in order to simulate the temperature distribution in the vessel.

I know that there is the opportunity to incorporate a fluid, problem is the space which should be filled with the fluid has to be a separate domain. Is there a possibility to fill an empty space with a certain fluid without having a domain for this space?

Any help would be very welcome!
Cheers
Michael

8 Replies Last Post Jan 27, 2017, 2:12 p.m. EST
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Jan 27, 2017, 8:58 a.m. EST
Hello Michael,
There is a functionality that allows you to close off an empty space to turn it into a domain over which you can solve equations. That functionality is called "Cap Faces". It is available in the CAD Import Module, the Design Module or in any of the LiveLink for CAD products.
See this blog post which describes it:
www.comsol.com/blogs/meshing-cap-off-for-cap-on/
Best,
Jeff
Hello Michael, There is a functionality that allows you to close off an empty space to turn it into a domain over which you can solve equations. That functionality is called "Cap Faces". It is available in the CAD Import Module, the Design Module or in any of the LiveLink for CAD products. See this blog post which describes it: www.comsol.com/blogs/meshing-cap-off-for-cap-on/ Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Jan 27, 2017, 9:16 a.m. EST

Hello Michael,
There is a functionality that allows you to close off an empty space to turn it into a domain over which you can solve equations. That functionality is called "Cap Faces". It is available in the CAD Import Module, the Design Module or in any of the LiveLink for CAD products.
See this blog post which describes it:
www.comsol.com/blogs/meshing-cap-off-for-cap-on/
Best,
Jeff

Hello Jeff,

thanks for your quick reply!
Unfortunately I don't have a CAD-file of my vessel which is why I drew it within comsol.

Best regards
Michael
[QUOTE] Hello Michael, There is a functionality that allows you to close off an empty space to turn it into a domain over which you can solve equations. That functionality is called "Cap Faces". It is available in the CAD Import Module, the Design Module or in any of the LiveLink for CAD products. See this blog post which describes it: www.comsol.com/blogs/meshing-cap-off-for-cap-on/ Best, Jeff [/QUOTE] Hello Jeff, thanks for your quick reply! Unfortunately I don't have a CAD-file of my vessel which is why I drew it within comsol. Best regards Michael

Posted: 7 years ago Jan 27, 2017, 9:20 a.m. EST
Hi Michael,
The Cap Faces functionality does not require that the geometry be brought in from a CAD package: you can use it on a geometry you drew entirely within COMSOL.
Best,
Jeff
Hi Michael, The Cap Faces functionality does not require that the geometry be brought in from a CAD package: you can use it on a geometry you drew entirely within COMSOL. Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Jan 27, 2017, 9:42 a.m. EST
Oh really? I couldn't find it when right-clicking on geometry!

Best regards
Michael
Oh really? I couldn't find it when right-clicking on geometry! Best regards Michael

Posted: 7 years ago Jan 27, 2017, 9:48 a.m. EST
Cap Faces is available in the CAD Import Module, the Design Module or in any of the LiveLink for CAD products.
Perhaps your license does not include any of those products. To check, go to File > Licensed and Used Products : it will tell you what modules you have.
Best,
Jeff
Cap Faces is available in the CAD Import Module, the Design Module or in any of the LiveLink for CAD products. Perhaps your license does not include any of those products. To check, go to File > Licensed and Used Products : it will tell you what modules you have. Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Jan 27, 2017, 11:23 a.m. EST

Cap Faces is available in the CAD Import Module, the Design Module or in any of the LiveLink for CAD products.
Perhaps your license does not include any of those products. To check, go to File > Licensed and Used Products : it will tell you what modules you have.
Best,
Jeff

Ah I see, this is why I didn't find it. I only got a student license...
Thanks for your help!

Best regards
Michael
[QUOTE] Cap Faces is available in the CAD Import Module, the Design Module or in any of the LiveLink for CAD products. Perhaps your license does not include any of those products. To check, go to File > Licensed and Used Products : it will tell you what modules you have. Best, Jeff [/QUOTE] Ah I see, this is why I didn't find it. I only got a student license... Thanks for your help! Best regards Michael

Posted: 7 years ago Jan 27, 2017, 11:36 a.m. EST
A student license could include any of those products. But your university may not have purchased any of those products yet.
Jeff
A student license could include any of those products. But your university may not have purchased any of those products yet. Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Jan 27, 2017, 2:12 p.m. EST
Yeah that's probably the case!
Yeah that's probably the case!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.