Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"Last time step is not converged" problem - in Solid Mechanics modeling of a soft shell

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all:

I am studying a soft & thick cylindrical shell under inner and outer time-dependent pressure loadings. The Solid Mechanics model is 2D (annulus), with a cylindrical pore in the cross-section. Isotropic linear elastic material is assumed, with a Young's modulus of 50 kPa and Poisson's ratio of 0.499.

In my time-dependent study, I constantly experience the following problem:
Failed to find consistent initial values.
Last time step is not converged.
- Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol 1/t1)

I looked into previous posts on the convergence problems, tried to refine the mesh, break down time intervals in the time-dependent analysis, but cannot solve this problem.

However, I found that if the Young's modulus is elevated to 500 kPa there is more convergence problem. I checked the evolution of mesh (for Y = 500 kPa) and find no severe distortion of the grid. I thus suspect significant distortion of the mesh may occur for Y = 50 kPa, but I do not know how to solve it.

With this brief summary of my problem, could anyone here help me with the following 2 questions?

(1) did any one encounter this kind of problems and have some experience to share?

(2) how could I 'debug' the model and figure out where this convergence problem is caused? are there any good references for the details (I checked COMSOL's pdf manuals but did not find anything closely related)?

Thank you.

Zhiping

0 Replies Last Post Jan 31, 2017, 8:47 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Zhiping Xu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.