Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Variable access in different modelareas (RF-Module)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a build a simple model with two domains with the rf-module. This model has two domains with two
different materials. So it has two different values for the wavevector.

Now I want to use the value of the wavevector from domain 1 and from domain 2 to calculate a constant impedance.

How do I access this variables?

I know the overall wavevector is emw.k

But how is the vector called for i.e domain 1 ? emw.??.k ?

Thank you!
Jan

2 Replies Last Post Feb 4, 2011, 9:05 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 4, 2011, 8:12 a.m. EST
Hi

you have just hit the "implicit" indexing of COMSOL ;)

It is important to understand that most physics dependent variable are defined with an implicit index corresponding to the applicable domain or boundary. These variables truely apply to the mesh element of size dx*dy*dz and not to the global macroscopic entities we are normally dealing with (domains, boundaries)

So if you want the "macroscopic" variables you must define these typically as integration over some domain or averages over some domain/boundaries etc, all depending on what you need

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have just hit the "implicit" indexing of COMSOL ;) It is important to understand that most physics dependent variable are defined with an implicit index corresponding to the applicable domain or boundary. These variables truely apply to the mesh element of size dx*dy*dz and not to the global macroscopic entities we are normally dealing with (domains, boundaries) So if you want the "macroscopic" variables you must define these typically as integration over some domain or averages over some domain/boundaries etc, all depending on what you need -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 4, 2011, 9:05 a.m. EST
Ahh yes,

great I got it.

Thanks,

Jan
Ahh yes, great I got it. Thanks, Jan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.