Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Why does an example on comsol website use 13W power for a cellphone?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,
I'm new to comsol, i have been learning it by internet, i have started solving some examples available on comsol website. The link of the example is mentioned below-

www.comsol.com/model/absorbed-radiation-sar-in-the-human-brain-2190

and i have also attached the pdf file for this example. One thing that is bugging me is in the lumped port section (page no.15 of pdf), they put v= 45.5 and Z= 75 ohm that means p= 13W, but the maximum power that a cell phone can radiate is 2W so why are they using 13W?

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies Last Post Apr 5, 2017, 2:46 a.m. EDT
Magnus Olsson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 8, 2017, 8:31 a.m. EST
That is a good point but the antenna is rather poorly matched so the radiated power is only about 0.54W which is not unrealistic. The latter can be seen by postprocessing the lumped port power, i.e. under

Results/Derived Values

add a Global Evaluation node and evaluate the expression "emw.Pport_1"

The focus in the example is meant to be on the calculation of the specific absorption rate in the brain rather than on the detailed and realistic modeling of a cellphone antenna.

--
Magnus
That is a good point but the antenna is rather poorly matched so the radiated power is only about 0.54W which is not unrealistic. The latter can be seen by postprocessing the lumped port power, i.e. under Results/Derived Values add a Global Evaluation node and evaluate the expression "emw.Pport_1" The focus in the example is meant to be on the calculation of the specific absorption rate in the brain rather than on the detailed and realistic modeling of a cellphone antenna. -- Magnus

Posted: 7 years ago Mar 16, 2017, 12:26 a.m. EDT
Thanks for your reply magnus,
I can understand it is just an example and it is mainly focused on SAR and temperature distribution calculation. But is there any specific reason of choosing 13W? is this the condition of over exposure?
secondly, i use the global matrix evaluation, put that expression and run the simulation i cannot understand what is it showing?

Thanks!
Thanks for your reply magnus, I can understand it is just an example and it is mainly focused on SAR and temperature distribution calculation. But is there any specific reason of choosing 13W? is this the condition of over exposure? secondly, i use the global matrix evaluation, put that expression and run the simulation i cannot understand what is it showing? Thanks!

Magnus Olsson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 5, 2017, 2:46 a.m. EDT
The port voltage level was chosen in order to give a reasonable/realistic SAR distribution and temperature increase.

When it comes to the global matrix evaluation node, that is only applicable after you have performed a port sweep over several ports so that you have an S-parameter matrix rather than the degenerate scalar case with just S11. If you want to display S11 for a single port system, use a Global Evaluation node.

--
Magnus
The port voltage level was chosen in order to give a reasonable/realistic SAR distribution and temperature increase. When it comes to the global matrix evaluation node, that is only applicable after you have performed a port sweep over several ports so that you have an S-parameter matrix rather than the degenerate scalar case with just S11. If you want to display S11 for a single port system, use a Global Evaluation node. -- Magnus

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.