Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simple Heat Transfer Questions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello. I was really hoping someone verse in COMSOL could answer some basic questions about hat transfer and how to apply it to my simple model. I have created a simple COMSOL model with a 20x20x10mm block and another 10x10x5mm block sitting centered on top of it. To note, I built the 2 separate blocks in Solidworks, created the assembly there, and then imported the assembly as and IGS to COMSOL. I'm a junior at Penn State University and my boss wants me to learn how to use some of the key features in COMSOL for heat transfer and I've yet to take a heat transfer course so I'm in need of assistance. Here are the following features I need help with and a Word document with a picture of my model and some material properties.

1. I want to put a heat source on the top surface of the top block but only on a section of it as in I want approximately a 3x3 area on the surface to have the heat flux. How would I go about doing this?

2. I want to test a time dependent heat flux on the surface listed in number 1. I want to be able to have q=f(t) and make the q value fluctuate at varies time intervals. Is there a way to have the option to do this as a time dependent function as well as have a study with a constant q value?

3. I want to add a contact resistance(in this case, gold eutectic) between the 2 blocks in my model but don't know how you add the contact resistance or how you would select between the 2 blocks(I also have this issue with clicking between two surfaces when added a heat source as well when trying to add it to an entire surface including where 2 components make contact). How would I first go about adding a thermal contact resistance between the 2 blocks?

4. I want to be able to find the temperature or heat transfer coefficient at any given point in the model. I know you can use the temperature feature in the results tab but I was wondering if I could find an exact temperature at any given point.

5. I want to try and create a fixed temperature at a surface of the blocks and have COMSOL calculate q for me. Is there a simple way to do this or would it require hand calculations?

Any assistance with these simple steps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Codi

0 Replies Last Post Apr 6, 2017, 11:46 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Codi Belfield

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.