Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to measure surface area of rudged boundaries

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have 3D object, and one of its faces is irregularly shaped and extruding out in space. I need to measure the area of the face. So i did Measure--> select boundaries, but I can't click anything in the graphics. What should I do?

Thanks!

Tina

1 Reply Last Post Feb 17, 2011, 1:15 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 17, 2011, 1:15 a.m. EST
Hi

Comsol does no have extended geometrical metrology features on the geometry as such, you can get coordinates of points, lengt between two points or along a line.

If you have complex shapes, mesh them (anyhow that are the surfaces volumes or lengths that are used for the FEM) and integrate the operand "1" over the area. In structural up to you to define the frame: material (original undeformed) or spatial (by default) the deformed shapes.

This can be done after the FEM solution is found, or o the initial values, for that: set up your model and get a default solver (right click Solver Configuration node + Show default solver) and then hit the Dependent variables sub node and right-click + Compute to selected. This will initialize your matrices and set up the initial conditions (a good way to know where you are starting, ideally should look close to the expected solution for optimum convergence)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Comsol does no have extended geometrical metrology features on the geometry as such, you can get coordinates of points, lengt between two points or along a line. If you have complex shapes, mesh them (anyhow that are the surfaces volumes or lengths that are used for the FEM) and integrate the operand "1" over the area. In structural up to you to define the frame: material (original undeformed) or spatial (by default) the deformed shapes. This can be done after the FEM solution is found, or o the initial values, for that: set up your model and get a default solver (right click Solver Configuration node + Show default solver) and then hit the Dependent variables sub node and right-click + Compute to selected. This will initialize your matrices and set up the initial conditions (a good way to know where you are starting, ideally should look close to the expected solution for optimum convergence) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.