Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

thin film damping in frequency domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I'm simulating squeeze damping on cantilever. I use solid mechanics model and study in frequency domain perturbation. I add thin film damping and harmonic perturbation boundary load for cantilever, but the result is not correct, the quality factor calculated from resonance peak is too high, (comparing with experiment result) and there isn't distribution pressure on surface when i plot. So how to add the condition correctly and what conditions am i missing.

2 Replies Last Post May 11, 2017, 7:39 p.m. EDT
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago May 11, 2017, 6:41 p.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago May 11, 2017, 6:42 p.m. EDT
(I assume you mean squeeze film damping)

The experiment is reality,* your simulation is subject to assumptions that may or may not be correct.

A long time ago I attempted to simulate the quality factor for a MEMS structure. The simulated Q was always somewhat higher than the measured value.

I never did resolve the issue- had other things to do- but if I needed to- I would look in the literature for analytic theory and other simulations to compare with mine. I would also consider whether there were other sources of damping that I had omitted.

* Of course, this assumes that the measurements were done correctly.

DW Greve
DWGreve Consulting

(I assume you mean squeeze film damping) The experiment is reality,* your simulation is subject to assumptions that may or may not be correct. A long time ago I attempted to simulate the quality factor for a MEMS structure. The simulated Q was always somewhat higher than the measured value. I never did resolve the issue- had other things to do- but if I needed to- I would look in the literature for analytic theory and other simulations to compare with mine. I would also consider whether there were other sources of damping that I had omitted. * Of course, this assumes that the measurements were done correctly. DW Greve DWGreve Consulting

Posted: 7 years ago May 11, 2017, 7:39 p.m. EDT
Thank you DW Greve
I compare simulation result with a result in a paper.
Quality factor is not slightly higher and there isn't pressure distribution on surface when i plot.
I also use time dependent domain with same conditions, the quality factor is good agreement with experiment (about 10%).
Thank you DW Greve I compare simulation result with a result in a paper. Quality factor is not slightly higher and there isn't pressure distribution on surface when i plot. I also use time dependent domain with same conditions, the quality factor is good agreement with experiment (about 10%).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.