Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrostatic force calculation, Results strange...

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

i have some questions regarding the 'electrostatic force' calculation.

I'm doing a project where the force caused by an electric field is of big importance, therefore I tried to calculate this force using different ways to gain security.

First I'm using the Force Calculation from the electrostatic module itself, as domain I'm using the body where I want to know my forces (domain 1 in my case) -- seems straight forward.

Second, I implemented the standard formulation of the electrostatic force with maxwell stress tensors, where I did a line integration for the 4 edges of that body1, using the integrand:
epsilon0_const/2*(es.Ex^2-es.Ey^2) for the force in x direction and epsilon0_const/2*(es.Ey^2-es.Ex^2)

The results of this two methods differ completely, more than a factor of 10^4 ...

Please help me understanding what's wrong, while reading the help section I thought the Force Calculation in the ES module is nothing more than a ready to go implementation of the line integrals of the stress tensor?

thanks in advance :)

0 Replies Last Post May 22, 2017, 7:52 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Martin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.