Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

mesh a thin shell

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I have a problem to mesh a thin shell (3D model attached).
Here is also a cross section illustration to show how did I plot this shell.

A rectangle and semicircle are connected, then plot the tangent from PT1 to semicircle to form the outer boundary of
shell. Finally rotate this 2D model around x=0 and form a 3D shell.
Following the discussion about meshing a thin plate in this forum, I tried to start the mesh from edge, boundary then the subdomain. But they all failed, and have error message:
--------------------------------------------
Error: 4100 Failed to generate mesh for subdomain,
-subdomain1: Failed to respect boundary element edge on geometry face.
Internal error in boundary respecting.
--------------------------------------------
I think this problem stemed from the sharp angle at PT1, because when I increase this angle value, there is no error message.
BTW: at RHS of cross section there are two points close to each other, and will form a narrow boundary after rotation, which make the mesh more difficult. Can I remove the point?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

yours,
Yao

1 Reply Last Post Mar 14, 2011, 2:31 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 14, 2011, 2:31 a.m. EDT
Hi

indeed I believe you have both the sharp edge at the bottom, and the thin annulus on the top, you could try to remove this small annulus by joining the line to the circle 90° rim

then if you start to mesh the edges it often easier to mesh the surfces and volumes thereafter (seems to work with all edges at max size 0.1

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed I believe you have both the sharp edge at the bottom, and the thin annulus on the top, you could try to remove this small annulus by joining the line to the circle 90° rim then if you start to mesh the edges it often easier to mesh the surfces and volumes thereafter (seems to work with all edges at max size 0.1 -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.