Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to import diffusion tensor (DTI) of white matter into COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I am trying to model the diffusion of the brain, and so I need to incorporate the anisotropic property into the white matter. But because of the complexity of the fibre orientations in the brain, the eigenvector can be quite hard to be interpolated as forms of equations. Is it possible for me to assign the diffusion coefficient to invidual mesh element (using Matlab), or some alternative ways? Anyone tried that before?

Many thanks!!!

1 Reply Last Post Mar 14, 2011, 1:56 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 14, 2011, 1:56 a.m. EDT
Hi

The only way I see is to define some functions to give you the orientation, you do not have direct access to the mesh elements in COMSOL. It is foreseen you work on the geometry. Either with analytical functions or interpolated ones

It is true that with matlab you can access quite deep into the model. I would still propose to start with a function on the geometry, as that will allow you to remesh without recreating a new function

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi The only way I see is to define some functions to give you the orientation, you do not have direct access to the mesh elements in COMSOL. It is foreseen you work on the geometry. Either with analytical functions or interpolated ones It is true that with matlab you can access quite deep into the model. I would still propose to start with a function on the geometry, as that will allow you to remesh without recreating a new function -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.