Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

BC and convective currents

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I'm a rookie in COMSOL and I need some help please in a heat transfer steady state problem.

I have a cylinder (conductive medium) being heated on an external surface and a sphere (water) inside that cylinder. The GOAL is to study the convection currents causes by the external heating. I understand enough the heat transfer in solids but not so much in liquids. I'm using the "Coefficinet Form PDE" and not the heat transfer modules.

Questions:
1. How can I apply continuity BC between the interfaces, namely, the same temperature and the same heat flux in the interface: outer sphere/inner cylinder?
2. Which is the best way to study the convection currents (in the desired range of temperatures the water remains in the liquid state)? Do I need to use the Navier-Stokes equations? God no! :)
3. To heat the external surface I need to apply a Neuman or Robin BC, how if I only have the option of Dirichlet BC?

Thanks so much!

Note: In the model I used a Dirichlet BC in the opposite external surface (T=300K) and in the lateral walls a zero flux.

0 Replies Last Post Mar 14, 2011, 11:34 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dario Rodrigues

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.