Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error detected during principal component evaluation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

what is the meaning of that error message.

I simulate a case in nonisothermal flow and use this for a single ac/dc simulation. This works fine. Just before I want to iterate both physics the message appears and the solver breaks.

"Error detected during principal component evaluation. Complex tensor field"

Best regards, Marcel

3 Replies Last Post Dec 14, 2015, 2:43 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 6, 2011, 8:31 a.m. EDT
Hi again,

I try to describe the problem again: I want to solve stationary non-isothermal flow problem. Additionally, I solve an AC problem of electrically conducting liquid in frequency domain. The time-averaged Lorentz force distribution serves as a source term for the flow problem. Additionally the electrical conductivity depends on temperature.

Therefore, I solve the stationary fluid dynamic problem without the EM forces at first. Then I want to calculate the coupled simulation of both stationary fluid dynamics and harmonic EM simulation.

I use a stationary study tab and select frequency domain in the mef settings. Then the error ("Error detected during principal component evaluation. Complex tensor field") occures.

When I use stationary for both physics (in other words coupling DC MEF and fluid dynamics) it starts iterating.

How can I couple a stationary and a frequency domain problem in v4.1? In older versions I never had such problems.

Best regards
Hi again, I try to describe the problem again: I want to solve stationary non-isothermal flow problem. Additionally, I solve an AC problem of electrically conducting liquid in frequency domain. The time-averaged Lorentz force distribution serves as a source term for the flow problem. Additionally the electrical conductivity depends on temperature. Therefore, I solve the stationary fluid dynamic problem without the EM forces at first. Then I want to calculate the coupled simulation of both stationary fluid dynamics and harmonic EM simulation. I use a stationary study tab and select frequency domain in the mef settings. Then the error ("Error detected during principal component evaluation. Complex tensor field") occures. When I use stationary for both physics (in other words coupling DC MEF and fluid dynamics) it starts iterating. How can I couple a stationary and a frequency domain problem in v4.1? In older versions I never had such problems. Best regards

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 7, 2011, 3:04 a.m. EDT
Hi

I would suggest to check with "support", and to be sure you use the latest release/patch (and pls report back here)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would suggest to check with "support", and to be sure you use the latest release/patch (and pls report back here) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 8 years ago Dec 14, 2015, 2:43 p.m. EST
Hi
I have the same problem. Did you have any chance to solve it?
I will apriciate that if you can help me out here
Hossein
Hi I have the same problem. Did you have any chance to solve it? I will apriciate that if you can help me out here Hossein

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.