Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time-dependent output solution storage

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Here is my puzzle of solution storage.

In general, in the time-dependent solver, there are two options available for output "Time to store":
1. "specified time" or 2. "steps taken by solver"

In some cases, I prefer option 2 as a solver-generated adaptive time-step schemes rather than the "coarse and stiff" specified time defined by myself. The problem is option 2 is a quite storage-hunger process for full solution. Although it's fun to zoom in to check the details over different spatial-temporal coordinate, overall I might be only interested in the time-dependent solution of a specified probe (e.g. to define a domain point probe). It seems the probe solution and full solution share the same "Time to store".

Let's say, I might only prefer to know a specific (time-dependent) probe output of a black box with a given input. Is there a proper way to store the probe solution at "steps taken by solver" without any storage of full solution at all?

3 Replies Last Post Jun 13, 2011, 7:08 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 7, 2011, 7:51 a.m. EDT
Hi

I believe you have only those two options, up to you to define your steps in small enough chunks to have sufficient detail, or to have everyything. But I agree, I have also problems handling 1-2 Gb model files

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe you have only those two options, up to you to define your steps in small enough chunks to have sufficient detail, or to have everyything. But I agree, I have also problems handling 1-2 Gb model files -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 13, 2011, 7:08 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I am running into the same issue of file size with my models which is way bigger than your Ivar. My smallest file is about 30GB and I was not successful to run the bigger files. What I am trying to do now is to find a way to run my models using a solving time step of one hour (3600sec) and ask COMSOL to save the results every one day (86400sec). I am not sure if this is doable or not but it is very important to me since my model has a varying boundary condition (type and value) every one hour, thus to get an accurate results the solver has to be every hour not to jump over any boundary change. Any help with this?

Sherif
Hi, I am running into the same issue of file size with my models which is way bigger than your Ivar. My smallest file is about 30GB and I was not successful to run the bigger files. What I am trying to do now is to find a way to run my models using a solving time step of one hour (3600sec) and ask COMSOL to save the results every one day (86400sec). I am not sure if this is doable or not but it is very important to me since my model has a varying boundary condition (type and value) every one hour, thus to get an accurate results the solver has to be every hour not to jump over any boundary change. Any help with this? Sherif

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 13, 2011, 7:08 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I am running into the same issue of file size with my models which is way bigger than your Ivar. My smallest file is about 30GB and I was not successful to run the bigger files. What I am trying to do now is to find a way to run my models using a solving time step of one hour (3600sec) and ask COMSOL to save the results every one day (86400sec). I am not sure if this is doable or not but it is very important to me since my model has a varying boundary condition (type and value) every one hour, thus to get an accurate results the solver has to be every hour not to jump over any boundary change. Any help with this?

Sherif
Hi, I am running into the same issue of file size with my models which is way bigger than your Ivar. My smallest file is about 30GB and I was not successful to run the bigger files. What I am trying to do now is to find a way to run my models using a solving time step of one hour (3600sec) and ask COMSOL to save the results every one day (86400sec). I am not sure if this is doable or not but it is very important to me since my model has a varying boundary condition (type and value) every one hour, thus to get an accurate results the solver has to be every hour not to jump over any boundary change. Any help with this? Sherif

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.