Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

ALE and Laminar Flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have been wondering lately whether it is possible to simulate with ALE and Laminar Flow interfaces the motion of an oject in a fluid.

Let us suppose that we have a closed system, i.e. a domain which does not exchange mass with the outside, and there is an object inside such domain. Is it possible to move the object around and see how the fluid redistributes itself?

I have prepared a simple model and I can force the mesh deform with no problem but the velocity of the fluid, water, remains just zero everywhere.

In the ALE interface, I define a free deforming mesh and I impose the proper laws of motion on the boundary of the moving object. By selecting the proper type of smoothing method and order I can even avoid inverted elements.
In the Laminar Flow interface I must define no slip conditions everywhere otherwise if I define moving walls I don't stand a chance to get a solution.

Does any one have an idea which additional boundary conditions /forces / whatever are required?

Cheers

4 Replies Last Post Sep 29, 2014, 9:07 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Amir Fadel

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 12, 2011, 5:17 p.m. EDT
Thanks your model help to get a good understanding of ALE. Thanks
Thanks your model help to get a good understanding of ALE. Thanks

Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 13, 2011, 11:45 a.m. EDT
Hi, Laminar flow with ALE is available as a physics interface in the Microfluidics module which was released with version 4.2:

www.comsol.com/products/microfluidics/

The interface, called Two-phase Flow, Moving Mesh, includes surface tension forces, forces at contact points and lines and also allows for phase change across the liquid/gas interface.
Hi, Laminar flow with ALE is available as a physics interface in the Microfluidics module which was released with version 4.2: http://www.comsol.com/products/microfluidics/ The interface, called Two-phase Flow, Moving Mesh, includes surface tension forces, forces at contact points and lines and also allows for phase change across the liquid/gas interface.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 19, 2011, 11:55 a.m. EST

Hi, Laminar flow with ALE is available as a physics interface in the Microfluidics module which was released with version 4.2:

www.comsol.com/products/microfluidics/

The interface, called Two-phase Flow, Moving Mesh, includes surface tension forces, forces at contact points and lines and also allows for phase change across the liquid/gas interface.

What would be the easiest way to incorporate phase change across a liquid/gas interface in 4.1. Say for example in a simple geometry of a water drop on a hot surface (boundary).
[QUOTE] Hi, Laminar flow with ALE is available as a physics interface in the Microfluidics module which was released with version 4.2: http://www.comsol.com/products/microfluidics/ The interface, called Two-phase Flow, Moving Mesh, includes surface tension forces, forces at contact points and lines and also allows for phase change across the liquid/gas interface. [/QUOTE] What would be the easiest way to incorporate phase change across a liquid/gas interface in 4.1. Say for example in a simple geometry of a water drop on a hot surface (boundary).

Posted: 10 years ago Sep 29, 2014, 9:07 a.m. EDT
Hello Mr. Ivar

I am also working on this kind of example like Mr. Amir Fadel worked at the top of the page. I need to apply gravity and buoyant forces so that mesh will be disformed. With the moving of the box the fluid phase should deform i guess.

Any idea how should i do that?
Hello Mr. Ivar I am also working on this kind of example like Mr. Amir Fadel worked at the top of the page. I need to apply gravity and buoyant forces so that mesh will be disformed. With the moving of the box the fluid phase should deform i guess. Any idea how should i do that?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.