Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

EigenFrequency analysis & Mode shape

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I've loaded a shell and received a bent shell. Then performed an EigenFrequency analysis and as a result received some natural frequencies and mode shapes. However, the mode shapes are all in flat mode. In other words, There is no influence of loading in the mode shapes. What can I do??

Thanks Shaghayegh

5 Replies Last Post Mar 19, 2018, 11:44 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago Mar 14, 2018, 9:48 a.m. EDT

Hi Shaghayegh,

This is a quite interesting question, which I will convert into an enhancement suggestion.

The point here is that the structural mechanics equations are formulated in the material frame. The influence of the predeformation of the shell goes into problem as a prestress, but the underlying model is still the undeformed geometry.

You can get the plot you want by manually superimposing the predeformation in the Deformation node. You can then use an expression like withsol(‘sol2’,u)+multiplier*u. Set the Scale factor to 1 since you want true scale for the preload deformation. The constant multiplier will probably need to be adjusted for each mode in order to get a good visualization. The mode amplitudes can be made more uniform by setting Scaling of eigenvectors to Max in the Eigenvalue Solver node.

Regards,

Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Shaghayegh, This is a quite interesting question, which I will convert into an enhancement suggestion. The point here is that the structural mechanics equations are formulated in the material frame. The influence of the predeformation of the shell goes into problem as a prestress, but the underlying model is still the undeformed geometry. You can get the plot you want by manually superimposing the predeformation in the **Deformation** node. You can then use an expression like *withsol(‘sol2’,u)+multiplier\*u*. Set the **Scale factor** to 1 since you want true scale for the preload deformation. The constant *multiplier* will probably need to be adjusted for each mode in order to get a good visualization. The mode amplitudes can be made more uniform by setting **Scaling of eigenvectors** to **Max** in the **Eigenvalue Solver** node. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 6 years ago Mar 14, 2018, 1:29 p.m. EDT

Hello Henrik,

Thank you very much for your time and reply. I followed your suggestion but I haven't received my desired result yet. It's my first time using withsol command, so I've attached a screenshot of the deformation node and the result which is still in flat mode. I've tried to change the multiplier value but no result.. Could you please check it. Thanks.

Kind regards, Shaghayegh

Hello Henrik, Thank you very much for your time and reply. I followed your suggestion but I haven't received my desired result yet. It's my first time using withsol command, so I've attached a screenshot of the deformation node and the result which is still in flat mode. I've tried to change the multiplier value but no result.. Could you please check it. Thanks. Kind regards, Shaghayegh

Posted: 6 years ago Mar 15, 2018, 3:29 a.m. EDT

Hi Shaghayegh,

In principle, your settings look correct, under the assumption that the solution to your preload case actually is sol2. The 'withsol' part of the expression picks up any solution that you point to. So the effect should be the same as when you do an ordinary deformation plot for that loadcase (given that the scale factor 1 is used there too).

To find a proper scale factor for the modal part, you can just check what scale factor you get when using a default mode plot. The scale factor used is shown in the text field when the check box for the scale is not selected.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Shaghayegh, In principle, your settings look correct, under the assumption that the solution to your preload case actually is *sol2*. The 'withsol' part of the expression picks up any solution that you point to. So the effect should be the same as when you do an ordinary deformation plot for that loadcase (given that the scale factor 1 is used there too). To find a proper scale factor for the modal part, you can just check what scale factor you get when using a default mode plot. The scale factor used is shown in the text field when the check box for the scale is not selected. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 6 years ago Mar 15, 2018, 6:49 a.m. EDT

Dear Henrik,

Thank you very much, it works now. I had to change sol2 (Eigenfrequency solution) to sol1 (preload case). Now the only thing is that I want to see the shell vibration and deformation in each natural frequency. So, I put 'shell.disp' expression. But as a result, I just see the same bent shell with no vibration in all available frequencies. Colour bar shows the displacement values but I cannot directly see the deformations in the shell. What can I do?

Kind regards,

Shaghayegh

Dear Henrik, Thank you very much, it works now. I had to change sol2 (Eigenfrequency solution) to sol1 (preload case). Now the only thing is that I want to see the shell vibration and deformation in each natural frequency. So, I put 'shell.disp' expression. But as a result, I just see the same bent shell with no vibration in all available frequencies. Colour bar shows the displacement values but I cannot directly see the deformations in the shell. What can I do? Kind regards, Shaghayegh

Posted: 6 years ago Mar 19, 2018, 11:44 a.m. EDT

Hi Shaghayegh,

The only thing I could think of is that the multiplier in withsol(‘sol2’,u)+multiplier*u is too small. If you try the expression 0*withsol(‘sol2’,u)+multiplier*u, you should be able to switch the deformation scale on and off and see that the mode is displayed.

Also, check that you have selected the intended Solution / Data set.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Shaghayegh, The only thing I could think of is that the *multiplier* in *withsol(‘sol2’,u)+multiplier\*u* is too small. If you try the expression *0\*withsol(‘sol2’,u)+multiplier\*u*, you should be able to switch the deformation scale on and off and see that the mode is displayed. Also, check that you have selected the intended Solution / Data set. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.